Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Stall & Trans Rebuild Adive!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Some Stall & Trans Rebuild Adive!

so with the way my taxs are looking and the new job i think im going to be able to go ahead with my master plan which is a stall for the camaro. only problem is im pretty new to understanding transmissions and things of that nature so i would like some insite

This car is a steet(weekend)/strip car its got 109k and mods are in sig...transmission does have overdrive also

Future plans at MOST would be heads, cam, intake manifold, 100-150 shot maybe, and stronger rearend so i wana be sure to do everything i can now so if i do do these things i dont have to go back and re do something

so i have some ideas and questions

1. with that being said im strongly looking at the Yank SS 3600 http://www.converter.cc/Yank_SS_Seri...fslash-ls3.htm from my research seems to be a very good all around street and strip stall from a good brand

2. for cooling im wanting to do a trans cooler but i have no idea what to get and how big http://www.jegs.com/c/Transmission-D...10535/10002/-1 or whos a good brand so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome

3. iv also thought strongly about a deeper pan to help with cooling since it will be drivin on the street http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid...source=message

4. Transmission mount(s). should i replace while im there or no? is so what would you recommend fpr parts?

5. Shift kit. the car will be retuned but should i throw a shift kit in there for the extra 80 bucks or is it not really worth it? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L60E-HD2/

6. last is the big question...i was thinking it would be a good idea to just have the transmission dropped and rebuilt while im doing all this. like i said its got 109k miles on it and with the stall and possible future plans i dont want it to get derstoryed right after i spend all this money on the stall.

any other comments, advise, ideas and constructive critsism is encouraged!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by agenthol302
so with the way my taxs are looking and the new job i think im going to be able to go ahead with my master plan which is a stall for the camaro. only problem is im pretty new to understanding transmissions and things of that nature so i would like some insite

This car is a steet(weekend)/strip car its got 109k and mods are in sig...transmission does have overdrive also

Future plans at MOST would be heads, cam, intake manifold, 100-150 shot maybe, and stronger rearend so i wana be sure to do everything i can now so if i do do these things i dont have to go back and re do something

so i have some ideas and questions

1. with that being said im strongly looking at the Yank SS 3600 http://www.converter.cc/Yank_SS_Seri...fslash-ls3.htm from my research seems to be a very good all around street and strip stall from a good brand

2. for cooling im wanting to do a trans cooler but i have no idea what to get and how big http://www.jegs.com/c/Transmission-D...10535/10002/-1 or whos a good brand so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome

3. iv also thought strongly about a deeper pan to help with cooling since it will be drivin on the street http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid...source=message

4. Transmission mount(s). should i replace while im there or no? is so what would you recommend fpr parts?

5. Shift kit. the car will be retuned but should i throw a shift kit in there for the extra 80 bucks or is it not really worth it? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-4L60E-HD2/

6. last is the big question...i was thinking it would be a good idea to just have the transmission dropped and rebuilt while im doing all this. like i said its got 109k miles on it and with the stall and possible future plans i dont want it to get derstoryed right after i spend all this money on the stall.

any other comments, advise, ideas and constructive critsism is encouraged!!!
JMO but sounds like thats what you looking for so here it is.

the stall is a must. I just did a 3200 and love it! The cooler size isnt a big deal because you run it in series with the radiator anyways. just pick one that fits the area you want to put it in. As for the deep pan save your money and buy a rearend cover to strengthen the diff. Temp is no issue when you have a cooler. Get a prothane tranny mount. Its stiffer and will take flex out of the driveline. And YES get a shift kit. Tuners say its not needed but they just are masking the shift issues. Shift kits fix engineering issues and recalibrate for proper pressure. not just changing shift points and hard shifting. As for rebuilding your transmission I manage a transmission shop and just took my tranny apart. It has 104k on it and worked great. Like you I thought It was time. The trans is mint inside! No issues what so ever. I could have just put my shift kit in and kept going. I would do a shift kit, stall, cooler, and save my money for other Mods. But thats just my opinion! Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience as a seasoned Sponsor here I have seen more 3,600 - 4,000 rpm converters replaced than any other. The client loves it at first! But, then reality sets in and because the car sees the track or WOT maaaybe 5% - 10% of the total drive time, the bigger converters become annoying as a primary daily driver. I would suggest you keep it around the 2,800 - 3,200 h/p range. But, it really boils down to what you're looking for overall.

As far as shift kit. I can tell you that there are only a handful of people on this forum who have installed more Trans-Go HD-2 Reprogramming kits than me. Not boasting, just want to hammer the point that while the kit is $80.00, the transmission will need to be completely disassembled in order to install it correctly. And even then, that kit is but one piece of the puzzle when it comes to keeping a 4L60E alive in a performance application.

As far as the cooler, in a word, yes size does matter. Period. The higher stalling converter will generate more heat quicker than the stock unit will. The only time it does not generate heat is when the lock up clutch is applied. If you plan on spending money on a torque converter then get the biggest, best cooler your budget and space will allow. For 4th gen f-bodies I always recommend an old school B&M Super Cooler.

As far as modding your engine, installing a converter and then a set of gears without building a robust 60E... Man really, it's a crap shoot short term. Long term, it's going to fail. I see them every single day come across my benches that are wounded after mods... The question is how long it took and how hard was it driven.

A well thought out and properly executed street car can be a blast! But for every one of those, there are a dozen that were built and sold because the combination just wasn't thought out or built right. Feel free to call me to discuss your project and I'll help you understand where to put your money wisely. Budgets have to be considered, timeframe and who to do it all are all things that are paramount to buildin a successful street machine that perfoms well at the track!

g
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

im pretty set on the 3600 but iv just been worried about the 4L60E holding up in the future
Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear ya. To be honest, at that mileage I would bite the bullet and deal with it during this upgrade if you can. Seriously, some guys get away with a stock unit forever and others do not.

This I do know. When you go with a higher stalling converter the fun factor goes up significantly. You will like it a lot! But, the tranny will not. A shift kit is a wise investment. The reprogramming kit you are looking at requires complete dissasembly of the transmission for it to be installed correctly. If it isn't going to be installed properly, don't bother with it and just with another kit that simply addresses the valve body and separator plate as opposed to internal rotating assembly mods as well.

I would be concerned about the transmission failing at those miles and with mods. See, once the converter goes in, it most likely will need to have the shift points changed. And once it starts down that road it will not live long if they aren't set properly. That is a fact I learned over the years.

It's tough having to come off all the $$$ it takes to go fast, but it is what it is right?

Good Luck with it man!

g
Old 02-11-2012, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with a built tranny from a site sponsor , a stall in the 3200-3600 range will be great for u. Bm 70264 is a great cooler 70274 is what i have but its huge!!! Oem mount is the best and i run a deep pan also. Every lil bit helps