Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Filter????

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Filter????

I have a 01 TA with almost 200k on it. I had the problem of pulling up to a red light and it not shifting back into first to take off until you goose the throttle a bit. I pulled the pan and replaced the A and B shift solenoids. Problem went away but new problem arrived. The tranny seemed to shift incredibly sluggishly especially from OD to lock. It finally started slipping on hard throttle in 2nd so I parked it. I recently started it up and drove around the block to keep the blood pumping so to speak so it would be ready to fix in the spring time. I noticed it then slipped badly in all gears but 1st under moderate throttle. I took it home and maunally shifted to second. I mashed on the gas and it didn't slip. I turned off the traction control and it blew the tires off in second not slipping at all. Only thing I can think of is the filter looked different from the one that was in the tranny when I changed the solenoids. Is it possible this isn't the right one and the pick-up tube isn't engaged correctly allowing the pump to starve of fluid? Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Sometimes changing the oil on a high mile unit can cause failures because of the strengtjh of the detergent in the fresh oil.This can casue particles to dislodge and get redeposited elsewhere etc.There are a few production changes in the filters but I am not aware of any that would cause the pickup to be obstructed.It may be a good idea to make sure the filter is tight in the mating grommet and that it isnt just sitting in the pan allowing air to be sucked in.At 220 k it is probably in need of an overhaul anyhow.They usually dont last that long.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chris718
Sometimes changing the oil on a high mile unit can cause failures because of the strengtjh of the detergent in the fresh oil.This can casue particles to dislodge and get redeposited elsewhere etc.There are a few production changes in the filters but I am not aware of any that would cause the pickup to be obstructed.It may be a good idea to make sure the filter is tight in the mating grommet and that it isnt just sitting in the pan allowing air to be sucked in.At 220 k it is probably in need of an overhaul anyhow.They usually dont last that long.
This one was 1 owner an that 1 owner was an old man and it was bone stock down to the paper air filter. The rear end does sound like I'm dragging a safe down the road on a chain but the engine/trans seemed to be in good order. 3rd has always been a little late to engage but I don't see a fluid change causing and instant sluggishness. Think I'll just throw a used tranny in it and call it good for now