Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2nd gear is slipping

Basically the car is fine in every gear except second. When ever it shifts to second and you give it any throttle it revs and shifts to third

I under stand it's probably a bad band, how much would that cost to repair?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

If you had a near-new transmission and it was out of the car, even a novice like me could replace the band in less than an hour and a quality band is only $25.

But, I bet the trans is not near-new. These questions must be considered:

1. Is it really the band, or is there a problem with the 2/4 servo?
2. Is it really the band, or is perhaps the line pressure too low.
3. Did something else cause the band to fail prematurely.
4. Might this simply be a good time to rebuild the trans.

Replacing the band requires removing the servo and the oil pump. Obviously the trans has to be removed for this. After removing the oil pump from an old trans, you either need to and at least should replace the teflon sealing rings. That would take me another hour. Need to make sure the reverse drum is in good shape, both for the new band and the teflon rings. Hmmm, the 3/4 clutches are like right there; we should at least replace those too.
Do you see where I am going?
By the time you spend the money to remove/install the trans and open it up, you are well on your way to a complete rebuild.

Some things could be done without removing the trans:
* You might consider having a trans shop check your line pressure.
* I would rebuild the servo with new seals as this can generally be done without removing the trans. And if you do need a rebuild after all, then that is already done.
* You might consider installing a shift kit (Transgo HD2) in hopes this will give you more life. It will increase your overall line pressure and you can increase volume to the 2nd gear servo.
* Heck, for a quick experiment, drill the 1-2 shift hole in the separator plate to 0.093". You can increase line pressure cheaper than a complete shift kit by just buying a .500 boost valve kit. Or just put in a stiffer boost spring.
* Line pressure can also be increased to some extent with a tune, although not as much as with a shift kit or bigger boost valve.

Just my opinions and hopefully others will chime in too.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear is slipping