Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flt for 4l80??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

This is Mad Dog Lou. Collen freeze, From what I understand NASA developed this under the space program. We started using this process about 8 years ago on drive shafts and axles, for example i had a guy leaving at 5500 to 6500rpm with a 1000HP, and twisting his drive shaft like a straw. Someone told me about the Collen freeze process so; he bought another drive shaft and put it in the Collen freeze process and hes never broke a drive shaft since.

I am not the rocket scientist that invented this, but it brings the molecules closer together, thus making the metal stronger. The bottom line is this,, there's is a lot of people, claiming how good this is and what not, i don't believe in anything I read unless I see it with my own eyes. People have doubting our transmissions because of price but with this process it saves us 1800$ on not having to purchase a billet input and output shaft. So here is the deal, most companies offer a 6 month warranty; we offer a one year unlimited mile warranty. In some cases depending on the weight of the car and and high of a stall the car is using,then he might need to get the special intermediate drum and sprag. Our Level 4 4L80E; with our Mad dog Recipe, is 2750$

Yes there is not much profit in there for us, but we really want to get our transmissions out there.. So what do you have to lose??? We back ours with a one year unlimited mile warranty! If you have any questions, please contact me and tell me your application.

Check out our video! ( My race car at the end )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRt4uZilTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqxh...5&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGgp8...8&feature=plcp

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter:www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube:www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I have to ask?

What is collen freeze?

I make my own parts and deal with CNC shops, grinders, laser cutting, heat treating, cryro'ing, and other processes and have never heard of it.

Last edited by maddoglou454; 05-04-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you need to at least find out what the process is actually called instead of trying to BS people here.

I think you are trying to refer to cyrogenic freezing, possibly confusing it with Kolene treating which is a nitride bath process for surface hardness.

Cryro freezing is a good process to strengthen a material but it isn't going to make a stock 4L80E input shaft reliable for 1200 HP.
Not only that, if the shaft already has stress fractures, or other weakness caused by previous use, the cryro treatment doesn't fix that.

It's a good process on a new shaft. Our TH400 and Powerglide Vasco shafts are heat treated and then cryro'd during the manufacturing process.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Your right its called cryogenic freezing. Every builder has there own recipe and I'm not trying to give anyone the run around. I know you guys build amazing transmissions and you have a great name. I would never bad mouth your company; so please don't mine. Once again, its my recipe for people who cant spend the money; It has worked very well for us and once again, I back up my work with a one year unlimited mile warranty. BTW- the trans brake look awesome, I might be ordering some from you.. Have a great weekend! and Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Lou

MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS

Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook:www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter:www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube:www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions

I think you need to at least find out what the process is actually called instead of trying to BS people here.

I think you are trying to refer to cyrogenic freezing, possibly confusing it with Kolene treating which is a nitride bath process for surface hardness.

Cryro freezing is a good process to strengthen a material but it isn't going to make a stock 4L80E input shaft reliable for 1200 HP.
Not only that, if the shaft already has stress fractures, or other weakness caused by previous use, the cryro treatment doesn't fix that.

It's a good process on a new shaft. Our TH400 and Powerglide Vasco shafts are heat treated and then cryro'd during the manufacturing process.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
I would never bad mouth your company; so please don't mine.

I'm not bad mouthing you or your company. You obviously have some reputation issues to overcome here and I hope you are as good as you say you are.

The average enthusiast here is pretty good at sorting the BS out, and when you make a statement that makes no sense at all (like collen freeze), someone is going to call you on it. If I think it's BS I'll call you on it.

I don't know about you, but when I pay for a "process" like cryo treating, anodizing, heat treating, induction hardening, etc I KNOW what it is called and what it costs as well as explain it to a customer and state its proper name.

A customer with 1200 HP, is usually not going to break the bank by adding a $400 input shaft to a $2000+ transmission. So in the case of what we do, we don't use the inferior product.
A 1 year warranty is all fine and dandy until the customer has pulled it out 4 times and is sick of dealing with the transmission guy who should have built it right the first time.

In the case that the customer wanted to cheap out, then they assume the risk of the broken part and multiple R&R's and converter clean outs.

Fortunately,
I'm not in business to try to be the lowest price, nor am I trying to get rich, and I have a clientele that understands that.

But I do know what does and doesn't work with a 4L80E.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jake, i sent you a few enails on purchasing one of your stage 5's....

get back to me when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Brett
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bringing this back. it was a fantastic read. I called every trans shop known to man. Jake is who I chose.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For me, jakes stage 4 80.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikss
aww cmon! go 5 and get the super drum/36 sprag/ and trans brake. lol.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikss
Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
aww cmon! go 5 and get the super drum/36 sprag/ and trans brake. lol.
Up until a few months ago, our current Stage 5 was called the Stage 4. It used to be we had the Stage 2, 2.5, 3 and 4. Jake decided it was time to finally change it to a slightly simpler format, now it's 2, 3, 4 and 5. I don't know sheikss actual name, but if he's a current customer then I could see if his name was on an order form in the office, but if he ordered it before January-February-ish, then it may be the same thing.

Have you placed an order, or are you planning to in the near future? If you ordered the Stage 5, then it does indeed come with the 36 element Super Drum. It's a very very nice piece.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Up until a few months ago, our current Stage 5 was called the Stage 4. It used to be we had the Stage 2, 2.5, 3 and 4. Jake decided it was time to finally change it to a slightly simpler format, now it's 2, 3, 4 and 5. I don't know sheikss actual name, but if he's a current customer then I could see if his name was on an order form in the office, but if he ordered it before January-February-ish, then it may be the same thing.

Have you placed an order, or are you planning to in the near future? If you ordered the Stage 5, then it does indeed come with the 36 element Super Drum. It's a very very nice piece.
All the Jan-Feb orders would have shipped by now...
We have been swamped all year with orders but we're almost caught up so we're down to a 2-3 week backlog.

The Super Drum we've been using is a nice part. There are only two companies that make that style drum that I'm aware of.

We've used both and quit using one company due to quality issues with the drums.

We are now making those drums ourselves. I just got back from the machine shop to look at the initial batch of product and they are going out for heat treat this week.

So we'll be stocking, using, and selling the Super Drum assemblies for the TH400 and 4L80E.

Once we get a final production cost on this part, we will update the website and be selling those individually.
This should also allow us to offer even better pricing on our Stage 5 builds in the near future.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Jake did you guys change your transmission stg packages? I bought the package you offered that included trans, converter, driveshaft, mount and I think it came with billet input & intermediate shafts?

I think it was the stg3 trans but looking at the website you need the stg 4 to get the billet input & intermediate, so I'm wondering if billet shafts used to come on the stg3?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike13
Jake did you guys change your transmission stg packages? I bought the package you offered that included trans, converter, driveshaft, mount and I think it came with billet input & intermediate shafts?

I think it was the stg3 trans but looking at the website you need the stg 4 to get the billet input & intermediate, so I'm wondering if billet shafts used to come on the stg3?
Mike,
Yes.

When I originally designated the different stages of trans, we had our base model Stage 2 (still the same). The we had a Stage 3 that was adding a billet input shaft, forward hub, and intermediate shaft to the Stage 2.

Due to the needs of our customers we often sold a custom unit between the two that had the billet input shaft and forward hub that I prefer to use with a transbrake and I feel is mandatory for 800+ HP or any significant nitrous usage. We started calling this a Stage 2.5 so we had an internal designation for that build and then sold them that way as well.

Stage 2.5 sounds funny so at the beginning of this year I revamped the website and redesignated the Stages. A 2.5 became a 3, a 3 became a 4, etc.

So what you bought would now be a Stage 4.

The billet intermediate shaft is a nice piece, good to have for peace of mind, and I like it in big power combos that have a brutal launch or heavy nitrous hit. However I've seen stock shafts live into the 8 second 1/4 mile territory (same shaft as a TH400).
I hate to sell a customer something they don't need. I would rather see a customer save a few hundred on the trans if possible and spend it on the converter or somewhere more power/$ can be found.
I also don't want to underbuild the transmission. I don't advertise a 4L80E good for 1200 HP with stock shafts.

So in reality, most customers that need a Stage 4 would be better off with a Stage 5 and get the big sprag. There are exceptions. I have a diesel powered combo here with 1500 lb/ft of torque. It has all the billet shafts, but due to the low rpm the 34 element sprag will be fine in that combo.

I buy the Super Drums at a cost of $700 each. I could use a cheaper one, but as I mentioned I am not sacrificing quality to save money or even save the customer money.

However our volume of Stage 5 4L80E builds as well as killer TH400 builds is enough that we are using 10-15 of these drums a month and it's overdue that we just make our own drums to reduce costs, and hopefully sell the drums to other builders at a more reasonable price.

I'm pretty excited about this project because I've been working on it for some time and it should help us make the customer successful for less money.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, I remember talking to you about the sprag and at that time you didn't feel comfortable with your suppliers quality my goal was 900-1000rwhp and 6600 rpm so you recommended not using the big sprag.

Transmission is holding up great, of all the purchases I've made for my car going with the 4L80E is by far the smartest.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mike13
Thanks, I remember talking to you about the sprag and at that time you didn't feel comfortable with your suppliers quality my goal was 900-1000rwhp and 6600 rpm so you recommended not using the big sprag.

Transmission is holding up great, of all the purchases I've made for my car going with the 4L80E is by far the smartest.
When you made your order it was well after any supplier issues with the drums. I got a bad drum 2-3 years ago from one supplier. Very poor machining quality and their answer was "well have you ever broken one?"

You're combo probably didn't warrant the drum as a mandatory part of the build.

I think a 4L80E is the only way to go on a real power application for street use. That is why I invested the time to develop the parts and recipe we use.
We get calls OFTEN from guys who have gone the $4-$5k 4L60E route and scattered it in short order.

A TH400 or Glide is great in the pure strip use combos but OD is king on the street.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

When you made your order it was well after any supplier issues with the drums. I got a bad drum 2-3 years ago from one supplier. Very poor machining quality and their answer was "well have you ever broken one?"

You're combo probably didn't warrant the drum as a mandatory part of the build.

I think a 4L80E is the only way to go on a real power application for street use. That is why I invested the time to develop the parts and recipe we use.
We get calls OFTEN from guys who have gone the $4-$5k 4L60E route and scattered it in short order.

A TH400 or Glide is great in the pure strip use combos but OD is king on the street.
This right here. We've had people call us from the side of the freeway in the evening to get a quote on a trans, after his 4L60E broke on the freeway. Was built by a big name company, and our quote for a Stage III shipped and everything actually came out to exactly $50 less than what he paid for the built 60e, and would have more than handled his power level. We suggested he utilize his warranty on the 60e first and give us a call later when something happens.

One guy in particular that stood out in my mind spent about 21k on 3 4L60Es from a big name company, broke all of them, their high end builds. 408 F-1C Procharger Trans Am, a hair over 1,000 to the tires. He went with a Stage 5 and a conversion package, hasn't skipped a beat since.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't worry, I got a brake too. The stage 4 should be more than I need for now and give me room to grow. Elite, I sent you my name so you can pull up my order. I ordered mine almost a month ago.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My setup is a 383, advanced induction 243's and a f1, I want 700+ but have no idea if that's realistic.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Yep thanks to this thread I also got my stage 5 ordered!! Will be on its way to me in no time!! Can't wait to see how it performs behind the tvs charged lsx 427!!

I'll keep all informed!

Thanks too all

Brett
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
One guy in particular that stood out in my mind spent about 21k on 3 4L60Es from a big name company, broke all of them, their high end builds.
My god! Who in their right mind would pay $7,000 for a 4L60e ONCE, let alone THREE times?!?!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You think I need to go to a stage 5? If you do give me a call and I will upgrade. I just talked to Mike tonight and he was gathering parts to start on mine. My name is Jerrame, give me a call if you think I should go to a 5. Eventually the f1 will be replaced by a turbo and more cubes so I can hit the 900+ rwhp mark.

Quick Reply: Flt for 4l80??