Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic tranny issue...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic tranny issue...

k sorry about this fellas cause this is not with a GM auto tranny, its an automatic on a 2000 gt a buddy of mine owns. i've been trying to figure out ways to help him fix his car but i haven't been able to come up with even a clue to what it could be.
the problem...when the car is in park and i started it, it idled at 750 rpms perfectly. But when i put my foot on the brake and put it in reverse the rpms dropped below 500 rpms and hopped back up to 550ish and stayed there . At cruising speed (say around 55mph) when i let up off the gas the car felt almostl ike it was braking. There was a resistance. I was thinking perhaps its the parking brake not disengaging but that doesnt seem to be the issue as i can visually see the **** work when he pulls up on the ebrake and drops it back down.

what kind of transmission issues could cause this? I've never owned an automatic car so im quite unfamiliar with whats going on.

I really appreciate any help and info u guys can give me. I've been to howstuffworks.com to get an overview on the basics on how the automatic transmission works so i have now at the very least a background to work with.

Thanks in advance
Travis
Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

oh i know whats wrong, its a cumstain. j/p sounds like computer issues,
Old 03-29-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

I agree, I think it's most likely computer issues. Is the car stock? If it's stock and has a warranty, I would ditch it at the dealer and let the techs deal with it.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

sounds like the car is not going into overdrive? whats the revs like?

if the brakes weren't reversing go for a 100mph sprint, pull off to the side of the road and watch the glow (do this at night, not far for home) lol.

btw stuck brakes will tear a tranny a new a-hole in very short time.

datalog trans temps if you have the ability, and any codes thrown.