Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new transmission suggestions pleas give your input!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new transmission suggestions pleas give your input!

So this is gonna be a mod a pretty good ways down the road for me since i just got laid off and will probably come after i get my new exhaust setup in but my end game is at a minimumm around 640 hp at the wheels and want to stick with an auto trans so looking for input on a transmission that i can put in long before i get to that point that will be good for daily driving and weekends at the strip. Looking for good stalls and trans cooler reccommendations as well. Like i said for a while the car is gonna be at a max of 350hp but i wanna go ahead and get a good tranny in before i start building big power
Old 05-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

monster transmission 4l80e.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A 4l80e will bolt up the same as the 4l60e? I dont plan on doing an engine swap im gonna keep my ls1 and just build
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*And just build it
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talk too RPM,FLT,ACE,MAD DOG & PERFORMABUILT.....

They are all sponsors on here.

We have personally done business with 2 of them & talked to a third builder via PM........

Knowing what i know now after our buildsss,I would talk to RPM,FLT & ACE first.
i think they all have had the 4l60 living past 600 H-P for some time now with great results in many fast cars.

Search is your friend.....we have a couple world class trans builders right here.
its your money, so its your job to pick the right one for you & your goals.

If you end up going 4l80 or t400 talk to JAKE,he is also a sponsor that specalizes in them....

Dont cheap out on your trans or stahl.....you know the old fast,cheap & reliable saying.

We have also had good success with a TRANS KING 5000 stahl,YANK pt4000 stahl & VIG 3200 stahl converters.
i honestly cant remember what coolers we used with what stahl.?.

GOOD LUCK with your build!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well ive looked at mad dog but ive read alot of bad feedback all ovver the forums but then there are some good there too. Im just basically asking for advice. Transmissions are something i have next to no experience or knowledge on. Hell i still dont fully understand wtf a stall converter does other than what wiki and google has told me. Laugh all you want i know its probably going to happen but im just getting started with this. Engines are my strong suit its the only thing ive had hands on with. All my knowledge from trans is purely book knowledge which still isnt much
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Rpm or finishline get my vote. Call chuck at flt he was very helpful with me ordering my Trans. Iv yet to actually drive with the new tranny in but I'm sure it's a great peice.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Rpm or finishline get my vote. Call chuck at flt he was very helpful with me ordering my Trans. Iv yet to actually drive with the new tranny in but I'm sure it's a great peice.
^^^^^^^^ there you go,2 pics out of my top 3.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RPM, FLT, and ACE and Jake like Heymoej said. Talk to em all, see what they recommend, and go from there. I dont have experience with all of them, but I have personally dealt with RPM, FLT, and Performabuilt.

I have an RPM Level 6 T56, that I have been running since March 2006, and it has been perfect! Its been in 2 different cars, with 3 different engine combinations. Their customer service is second to NONE, and they will take care of you!

Even if you dont buy from them, and you have questions, just hit em up. They are some of the most knowledgable, and helpful people I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Even when I have stupid questions, or concerns, Jeremy has been such a huge help, and can explain everything you need to know IN DEPTH.

I also have an FLT Level 3 '60e and a Yank SS3600 in my SOM car. This combo replaced my Performabuilt Level 2, and 4k stall. Now, I dont have a single complaint with the build, or the customer service AT ALL, and I would have gone with RPM for my auto as well, but at the time I was in need of a trans, and FLT could get it to me quicker.. I honestly beat this thing like it owes me money, on a very regular basis, its my daily driver and it never skips a beat!

As for stalls, I am VERY happy with my Yank SS3600!! Dave at Yank was VERY helpful with getting me exactly what I needed. I had it shipped to FLT when they were building my trans, and they dyno'd both the trans and stall together, so I knew everything worked right before it was even shipped to me.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright so i got a good base on who i should talk to and some good companys now i just have one question what is the purpose of a higher stall and what all ties into raising it and what is stock? Like i said i have no clue abbout those things i just hear people talkin about stalls
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Teching In

i have read alot of good things about monster transmissions. 4l80e super sport which will handle around a 1000hp is 1900 bucks. cant go wrong there.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Hey Boss man! My professional opinion I would go with a 4l80E and be done with it. You will not have any issues with it. If you ever need to add more power you wont have to worry. Email us your phone number and we can talk to you personally or if you would like you can give us a call.

Yes we did have some issues 6 years ago, but like I have said in many forums that we have gotten rid of the bad apples, and we have a great team now. This is why I want to sell you one of my transmissions is because you will come back on here and give to everyone your experience with our transmissions, company, and customer service. We are running a special right now for LS1tech members, choice is yours, but I would take advantage of it. If you would like I could break down to you i could break down to you exactly how a stall converter works...

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Well ive looked at mad dog but ive read alot of bad feedback all ovver the forums but then there are some good there too. Im just basically asking for advice. Transmissions are something i have next to no experience or knowledge on. Hell i still dont fully understand wtf a stall converter does other than what wiki and google has told me. Laugh all you want i know its probably going to happen but im just getting started with this. Engines are my strong suit its the only thing ive had hands on with. All my knowledge from trans is purely book knowledge which still isnt much
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a performabuilt lvl 2 trans in my car, its been pretty good to me so far and i love it. they have always been helpful when i asekd questions and responded that day.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maddoglou454
Hey Boss man! My professional opinion I would go with a 4l80E and be done with it. You will not have any issues with it. If you ever need to add more power you wont have to worry. Email us your phone number and we can talk to you personally or if you would like you can give us a call.

Yes we did have some issues 6 years ago, but like I have said in many forums that we have gotten rid of the bad apples, and we have a great team now. This is why I want to sell you one of my transmissions is because you will come back on here and give to everyone your experience with our transmissions, company, and customer service. We are running a special right now for LS1tech members, choice is yours, but I would take advantage of it. If you would like I could break down to you i could break down to you exactly how a stall converter works...

this is great customer service. Getting on here and showing that you will take the time and effort to give someone the break down.

I think that you just one my business. Need a 4l80 to handle alot of abuse. With a very nice stall.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok i still need an answer to whether a 4l80e will bolt up to a stock ls1 and i need an answer to my stall question
Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so where does a 4l80e come in ive never even heard of one of those till now. Will it fit in my camaro. Looked at mad doggs 4l80e says itll hold up to 1200hp so what would be better their 4l80e with a 2400 stall or a level 4 4l60e with a 2400 stall?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Ok i still need an answer to whether a 4l80e will bolt up to a stock ls1 and i need an answer to my stall question
the 4l80e will bolt up to the ls1. May need a diff flexplate not a 100% sure. What are you going to be running for a rear end.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Havent decided yet. How can i tell which rear end is in my car now. Ive heard that they put different rears in these cars?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Teching In

should be a 10bolt.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i was referring to the gear ratio but by the time i have the money to do the tranmission ill probably do a moser 12 bolt