Sponsored by:

Help with front seal leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with front seal leaks!

My car has 35k miles, somewhere around 32k miles I installed a PTC converter, had no problems for 3k miles and it started puking oil out the front. I also noticed my pressure control solenoid was out and it was at full pressure at all times, I dont know how long it was like this but probably 3-4k miles.

I had assumed it pushed out the seal, pulled it out, seal looks perfect. Put in a new seal and reassembled. Didnt leak right away but I went out and made a couple quick pulls and it started leaking again.

What could it be? I installed a MOD-46 while it was out as well. It sure looks like its coming from the front seal so maybe the converter snout is a little small? Pump o-ring? I couldnt see any cracks in the converter either.

Nothing I hate more than leaks and this is beyond pissing me off!

Gary
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a possibility there is excessive wear on the pump bushing/seal. Or even slight damage from converter installation. Also the 0-rings underneath the pump bolts can be causing a leak, and as you mentioned, the pump 0-ring that seals the pump to the case. I've also seen pinholes in converters where they have been welded back together. You're going to have to do a detailed inspection and be very observant in order to chase this down with the trans still inside the car.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help with front seal leaks!