Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 4l60e guru's i need help is it stall or stock converter i dunno?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 4l60e guru's i need help is it stall or stock converter i dunno?

I'm gonna get flammed for this I know but some things happened and I busted the pump in my stock 4l60 in my 00 formula stock cam had stock converter full bolton heavy suspension and 3.73s with drag radials and skinnys enuff about the car for basic info

My v6 bird daily grind the ac compressor bracket snapped and it thru the belt well 2 weeks before the car got broken into and they stole my ipod touch a pair of oakleys an a script of medication I had in the car did a police report yada yada nothing I could due but chalk it it to bad luck may have forgotten to lock the door that night well as I'm scouring junk yards craigslist and what not trying to find another bracket I said hell with ile buy a trans for my formula just to drive it in the mean time they busted out my windshield to come back to get the stereo I they left the first hop to get another lick 2 days before I pulled the headunit and put the stocker in it

I'm so sorry about these run on paragraphs its due to posting from a phone and punctuation is a pita

Anyways I decided years at working at dealers that we never really had gotten any used bad motor tranny and rear ends from greenleaf/lkq I've bought 2 ten bolt rears from the no issue so I figured id give a tranny a go so I said the hell with it ile buy a cheap used unit with a warranty until things get all smoothed out with the other car buying a house so on the way to work the tranny gives up the ghost it was as lkq stock replacement used trans out of a 62k mile 01 camaro ls1 4l60e out of texas I think it had more miles than that really but when I serviced it front back seals swap to the truck pan and filter kit I bet it washed all whatever friction material was on the bands and clutches off I should have been a lil leary of it having a energy suspension mount already on it oh well

I call AAA get it towed to the house and get another tranny sent to me this time a tranny with less than 15k on it and it looks it very clean stock mount in good shape they said it came out a vert trans am with very low miles was stolen or street raced came from cali

All the bs before this line is just back story

sorry grammer police its a pain to post from a phone

The the tranny number 3 torque converter is dark almost royal blue its the same size as the stock and looks much like the stock 00 converter and the 01 replacment trannys converter but doesn't have the same part number sticker or numbers engraved into it the stock ones have? Other than color the numbers on the side of the housing where the halfs are welded together are the same for converter 1 and 2 and there are additonal numbers and letters engraved on the back half of the case

No manufacture sticker no idea if its a stall or a replacement reman gonna have this one installed by a shop due to lack of time myself to do it and because I'm just tired of pulling the tranny out the car on jackstands

I was just wondering if any of y'all stall guru may know anything about a company that takes stock gm fbody converters paits em blue and adjust the internals its the same size weight and spline count and bolt pattern on the back as the stockers but the tag the orginal looking 2 have where there is a tab with numbers and letters ingraved is there on the blue one just they are just not the same as 1and 2. Number 3 is the odd man out
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also there are a series of. Numbers and letters engraved on the flexplate side of the case as well not factory I know this was line tech for pontiac chevy gmc and buick for 10 yrs before I know what I looking at just not sure about this particular converter in question
Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I normally don't cheap out on my carsw but buying a house repairing one car fron vandalism and one from abuse I thought id pinch a penny buy myself a year or two and be able to go forward with my 408 th400 with a brake project that is been two years in the making
Old 07-01-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The numbers engraved into the back half of the case where the crank alingment hub is is not on stock converters that I've ever seen 10 plus and and the number letter combo on the tab where the halfs are welded togther is also different just wondering if it was a stall or a remain converter pump looks stock it has about 15k worth of road grime on the tranny hasn't been painted the converter just don't seem right if I got a free used stall cool if its a reman unit for a stock that's okay two just has me perplexed been searching for 3 days to no avail
Old 07-02-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

no response due to bad grammar on my part ugh time for a new thread
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Should of posted a pic