Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e Transmission Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e Transmission Rebuild

It looks like I lost the Sun Shell in the trans of my '98 Z/28. Looking for a reputable and knowledgeable transmission shop in the Tampa Bay area that can build / rebuild the trans to a HD or high performance version of the same transmission and complete the install. I know it's a 4L60 and not a TH400 so the performance potential is limited but it can be improved so I would like to have it built as stout as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Teching In

unless you find a really good shop around the area that knows what they are doing, i would just get a good tranny from one of the sponsors. im looking myself and having one built vs swapping one that you know will be a good transmission is a no brainer. talked to my transmission guy here in town that i know and trust to do mine and he quoted my $1700 with minor upgrades. or i could buy a level V from RPM for $2300... seems like a no brainer to me when dealing with these weak 4l60's.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Teching In

There are a few small to medium shops in the area and at least one nationally advertised distributer but I don’t have any first-hand experience with any of them. I’m also looking to have the trans removed/installed. I’ve done several transmissions in different cars on the ground in my garage and I really don’t want to do another one; at least not in Tampa in July.