Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Default 4l60e oil pump bushing worn

So I was driving down the road when I noticed that I was in 2nd gear cruising 50mph. haven't seen 3rd or 4th since. No symptoms prior to the incident. Fluid level and condition ok. No codes no cel. Pulled trans expecting to find burnt 3/4 pack but found plenty of clutch remaining. Found that the oil pump bushing had been worn away resulting in a severed lower nylon oring on input shaft. I plan to replace the nylon seals, input housing and shaft, oil pump bushings and associated gaskets. My question is this, should I be looking for the cause of the worn bushing or is this a normal failure of these trans? End play is within specs, everything seems fine.
gmworldclasstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to mrvedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmworldclasstech View Post
So I was driving down the road when I noticed that I was in 2nd gear cruising 50mph. haven't seen 3rd or 4th since. No symptoms prior to the incident. Fluid level and condition ok. No codes no cel. Pulled trans expecting to find burnt 3/4 pack but found plenty of clutch remaining. Found that the oil pump bushing had been worn away resulting in a severed lower nylon oring on input shaft. I plan to replace the nylon seals, input housing and shaft, oil pump bushings and associated gaskets. My question is this, should I be looking for the cause of the worn bushing or is this a normal failure of these trans? End play is within specs, everything seems fine.
My understanding is that a misaligned stator shaft to oil pump housing will cause this problem. The stator shaft is pressed into the housing and if even a sliver of metal gets between the two, there will be a problem. The most likely cause of this was a previous rebuild.
mrvedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4l60e, al4, burnt, bushing, bushings, fluid, input, loctite, oil, oring, pump, shaft, trans, transmission, worn