Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should turn at the front of a 4L60e?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should turn at the front of a 4L60e?

I had an output shaft changed in my 4L60E. Afterwards, I bolted it up to the LS1 to start fitting in a custom chassis. The other night I decided to turn the LS1 over by hand and it wouldn't budge. I then unbolted the 4L60E and tried again. The LS1 turned over fine. The input shaft of the 4L60E turns as does the output shaft if it is in gear. The splined tube (for lack of a better description) does not budge. Do I have a problem that needs to be addressed before bolting it all back together again?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz
I had an output shaft changed in my 4L60E. Afterwards, I bolted it up to the LS1 to start fitting in a custom chassis. The other night I decided to turn the LS1 over by hand and it wouldn't budge. I then unbolted the 4L60E and tried again. The LS1 turned over fine. The input shaft of the 4L60E turns as does the output shaft if it is in gear. The splined tube (for lack of a better description) does not budge. Do I have a problem that needs to be addressed before bolting it all back together again?
Have you got the converter fully on there....rotating it till you hear 3 clicks...then bolt up to rear of block, and rotate the motor till you get a hole in the flexplate to bolt the TC to.....continue to rotate...Use a big socket wrench on the crank bolt and turn it....easiest way to turn motor
Old 04-07-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

The splined tube (your description) doesn't move. The input shaft should turn. If you didn't line up/seat the converter with the front pump fully before you bolted it up, you may have damaged the front pump.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Default what next???

I may have pulled the trans up to the block without the pump properly engaged. It did pull up quite easily though. What next??? How do I determine if I damaged this pump? Do I need to pull it and inspect? What do I look for? I'd hate to put it together and smoke the trans because of pump failure. Any additional input is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: What should turn at the front of a 4L60e?