Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e Valve Body Interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e Valve Body Interchangeability

Making progress on this build--slow but sure. I have solved all the problems I have encountered so far and come across new ones everyday. I have a 1993 core and I have 2 valve bodies. One of the valve bodies has two tall towers and the other has only one. Everything else seems to be the same. I am attempting to use the plate form the body with the tall tower with the valve body from the one with the short tower. What I have observed, and will be seen from the pics attached, is that the 2-3 accumulator in the one with the short tower has no valve. I do not know it it was removed or if that is how it was set up from GM.

I am doing a full manual Jakes install/rebuild and I have to block the accumulator with a set screw as specified.

Is there any problem using the short tower accumulator and is it that there is no valve necessary since the housing appears to be condemned when the housing hole is blocked with a set screw?

Maybe slow67 can help or anyone of the Jakes techies who post.

Here are the pics--
Attached Thumbnails 4l80e Valve Body Interchangeability-d-pic-1.jpg   4l80e Valve Body Interchangeability-d-pic-2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

nobody?

guess I'll have to call Jake
Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Here is what I have been able to research so far---for anyone who may be interested--the italics is Jakes post

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?p=9538562

small one was an engagement accumulator and was deleted quickly by GM.The plate is available and comes with the proper attaching bolts.PM me if you need one.

I delete the 3rd and 4th gear accumulators on almost all builds except completely stock or heavy truck/towing applications. I still delete the 3rd accumulator on those builds.

I also have a valve body recalibration kit that deletes all accumulation in the trans.

If it's a mild build, deleting the 4th accumulator, leave the 4th feed hole stock size.

I deal with the 3rd circuit several different ways. My newest transbrake valve body feeds both sides of the center support which helps in the big power combos.

Jake, Chris,

Thanks; was convinced the 3rd Accum was doomed since I could replicate my 2-3 TH400 upshift, and the 1-2 would be Th400 style too.

That 4th accum was a choice that would be based on experience, that which I don't have yet, and yea my preference is to rely completely on the Vacuum-modulated Line Pressure to soften the shift, not some Accum function.

That small " engagement accumulator" was/is a mystery to me, as if it was a good idea. To hear that GM got rid of it suprises me, yet makes the decision easier to try the flat plate. I bet the flat plates sell well huh.

Quick Reply: 4l80e Valve Body Interchangeability