Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent line question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vent line question

Ive been fighting a fluid leak after putting my trans back in after getting completely redone and narrowed it down to the vent.

I dropped the tranny down some to get to the vent and notice it has a T on it. It comes from the case with a couple inches of line, to the T, then one side of the T is just open with no line on it and the other side of the T has an inch or so long line with the check valve on it.

Is the T supposed to be on there? To me, that doesnt look right.

I figured it should come straight out from the case to the check valve, then run a line up toward the bellhousing.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

I had a leak out of the vent when the TCC started to drag and overheat the converter. Unless you have too much fluid in the trans, my understand is that this indicates something in the trans is very hot and "foaming" the fluid.

I'm not an expert on this, so perhaps someone else can confirm or correct this.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not ruling anything out like that yet, or a clog in the line or external cooler,etc, but I want to get this vent taken care of first.

Ive never seen a Tee on the vent before. If I dont get a response I just may take it off and redo the line, put the check valve on and go from there.

That way I know if it leaks again, something is for sure not right.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 02 z has the t on the vent too not sure what the purpose is. if i remember correctly there were two short ends one of which went to the vent tube and the other had some sort of one way valve to keep moisture out i suppose. then a roughly 4 to 5 ft long hose that ran over to the drivers side of the car and clipped onto the torque arm for the length of the arm. this to my knowledge is the stock set up
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nomasterase
my 02 z has the t on the vent too not sure what the purpose is. if i remember correctly there were two short ends one of which went to the vent tube and the other had some sort of one way valve to keep moisture out i suppose. then a roughly 4 to 5 ft long hose that ran over to the drivers side of the car and clipped onto the torque arm for the length of the arm. this to my knowledge is the stock set up
Just what I needed to hear, thank you

Quick Reply: Vent line question