Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse,3rd, and 4th gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reverse,3rd, and 4th gears

Okay well i was just cruising in my car (the one in my signature) and it was shifting fine and all for about 30 minutes. I was going to pass a car so i went wot. The rpm's shot up to like it does when its about to downshift and then i heard a loud THUMP, i actually felt it as well. It then hit the rev limiter like 2 times, it acted like i was in neutral, so i automatically let off the gas. I let it coast for like 5 seconds before i decided to give it some gas again. It went fine, was in 4th gear going about 40 mph. I felt relieved, i thought everything was fine.

I come to a stop sign, and then i start to go again, it was accelerating good, wasn't slipping or anything and then when it comes time to shift in to 2nd, it didn't and the rpm's just kept going. So i pull over to a gas station that was like a block away. I slow down to turn in and notice that its making a weird noise, like a whining sound almost, coming from the transmission area. I put it in park and i get out and look under the car to see if i'm leaking anything, nothings leaking. So i get back in my car and put it in reverse to back out, when i notice it doesn't move, it just acts like i'm in neutral and makes the whining noise. I put it back in park and the whining stops. So i put it in drive and it moves but it will only stay in 1st and sometimes shift into 2nd, but 3rd and 4th gear are gone. I drove it home (about a mile away) like that. So what do you guys think happened?

I don't know if this is the original transmission but the car has 159,000 miles. I've owned this car since about January of 2011. I had to replace the engine after just about 300 miles of owning it (seized up). But i used the same trans. I've always noticed the trans wasnt in the best condition, it shifted fine under normal acceleration but when wot it would always shift weird going from 2-3. Just some extra info.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the sunshell broke. Its going 1st to 3rd. Time for a rebuild.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Agreed with the comment above.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Oh okay thanks guys, guess i need to start saving up...

Quick Reply: No reverse,3rd, and 4th gears