Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshart noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveshart noise?

Spent all evening swapping trans.,4L60E.Got it buttoned up about 11:30 pm and noticed thumping right a way,speed related.I pulled it back in the garage and put it back on stands. There was visible shake in drive shaft running in gear. I measured carrier bearing placement to center and corrected. Still shook. The only u-joint I unbolted was at rear yoke,so I removed and turned it 180* and reattached.Still shook.By then it's after midnight and I have to be up @ 6:00am so I $#%&^ it and call it a night. Tonight I'm going to change U-joints and try again but it didn't thump when I pulled it into the shop to swap the tranny.? I think every thing is properly in place but I'm not a trans.man or mechanic, just a guy with tools,a broke truck,and slim wallet.
The tranny I installed came out of a wrecked '02 and looks good,very clean in pan ,I did change filter and seals,also installed new Yank 2600 t/c.
Any advice ,ideas, or suggestions appreciated. Jim
Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U-joints did the trick. Tough job without a press. It got a little easier when we heated the carriers with a tourch to melt the factory glue retainer.