Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

think its time for a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default think its time for a rebuild

im pretty sure its some clutches worn out but want to post first to get some expert opinions.

my whole trans was gone thru a lil over 30k ago. it was a probuilt kit that included everything clutches , steels, shift kit, sun shell beast ,ect...
at the same time i got a fuddle stall 2.1 3400.

the car isnt abused ever , its only seen 5 track passes ( over 5 years ago )
and has acted flawlessly til tonight.

i dont drive the car often and when i do its mostly highway.

all the background out of the way heres whats going on:

I took the car out tonight for a date , womens love fast cars , i noticed roght when i got out of the neighborhood something was a lil off. it just didnt feel right. my car is very loud and i baby it in the neighborhood bc of my neighbors. it was also snow flurries out and i thought maybe the cold was acting funny or the tires might have been slipping a little or maybe it was bc the gas was kinda low.
anyways i filled the tank and we went to go get on the interstate. i got down on it just enough for it to downshift to third and thats when the rpms went up , motor reved , car didnt accelerate though. i knew something was off. anyway i babied it to the movie n dinner ect, dropped her off and did some investigating once i got close to home.
heres what its doing:
1. as stated above if you give it a decent amount of power it just flares
2. if im in a lower gear like 2nd and give it power its jerking and stalling
3. its making a horrible vibration when in the low gears giving it power trying to make it act up.
4. its shifting fine if under low power
5. car performed flawlessly under low power up to 95
6. all the issues seem to be once the tranny is under the load.

i think its time to get another set of clutches n steels
am i thinking correctly?

oh and no ses light , i will put my scanner on it tomorrow n see if there is any codes, but its at work n couldnt get to it tonight.

thx for your input
Old 03-02-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

friend of mine seems to think its the convertor

anyone else???
Old 03-02-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Other than the possible vibration, this sure does sound like the 3/4 clutch is fried.
At a minimum, I would recommend a 7 clutch 4l65e clutch kit (which fits any 4l60e '96 and later). Also make sure you have a .490 or .500 boost valve to bump the line pressure up a bit. You might also consider having it rebuilt with 7 or 8 "Blue" clutches for the 3/4 clutch. (Keep the clutch clearance on the high side then.) I get the feeling that Blue clutches will wear out in e.g. 25,000 easy highway miles, but will outperform anything else under heavy use. I think the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack shift-kit would be recommned with Blue clutches to reduce slippage during shifts.
Those are my opinions. Anyone else???
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I gather you got this kit from me, if you did give me a call and I will help you out here on what went wrong. 909 795-1876. Dana
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PBA
I gather you got this kit from me, if you did give me a call and I will help you out here on what went wrong. 909 795-1876. Dana
i got the kit from 700r4l60e.com
but like stated it was over 5 years ago and right at 30000 miles ago aswell.

the kit includes the reverse valve .500 , corevette servo , beast sun shell , some other updated internal parts, including stuff for the pump ect...

this looks like the kit i got then , but then it was called the stage 2 kit, there was a stage 1 , 2 , 2.5 , iirc the 2.5 was vaccume modulator which i didnt want.
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=55&page=1
and thats close to what i remember paying.

i really do not drive this car hard anymore , matter of fact id contemplated selling it bc mostly it sits. 5+ years and less then 30000 miles should say that. i use it to go on out of town trips and to pick my kid up from school on fridays in the " race car " as all his classmates n teachers call it.

Its been filled since day 1 with royal purple , i have a bnm 24000 gvw trans cooler as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:45 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Call me when you can, as there are things that need to be discussed to determine what happened and what is needed here. Dana
Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PBA
Call me when you can, as there are things that need to be discussed to determine what happened and what is needed here. Dana
if you could pm me your number , i will call you monday.

thank you

Quick Reply: think its time for a rebuild