Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tech Left Plug In Transmission Fill Tube- What Problems May I Have In Future

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tech Left Plug In Transmission Fill Tube- What Problems May I Have In Future

I took my 2002 Tran in for excessive oil leak and they diagnosed it as rear seal and pan gasket. I had them replace the rear seal and gasket which did not stop all the leaks but that is another story. They had to pull the transmission to do this.

The transmission started slipping so I checked the fluid level and it showed low so I tried to add fluid to it and I put a couple of ounces in and it overflowed. It was completely full in the dipstick tube. I thought maybe the radiator was leaking fluid into the tran and caused it to be too full so I dropped the pan. The dipstick tube was still full with the pan off and all I got out of the pan was 2 quarts of fluid. When I started looking close, I could not see the dip stick in the transmission instead, I could see a black tube that looked like a black finger sticking down where the dip stick goes.

I was able to get the bolt out of the dipstick tube and raise it up a little and after about an hour of fighting, I got the piece out. It ppears it is a plastic plug that the tech had put in to prevent dirt from getting in while the transmission was removed from the engine.

My question, did the plug cause the fluid to leave the transmission and will I have permanent damage from the problem? Do I have any recourse with the dealer.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Shouldn't have caused an issue. The cases have vents on the top. If excessive pressure builds then I've heard of dipsticks blowing out. But that would be rare you would have that situation. And, you should have had to pull the trans to do a rear seal or tailshaft o ring.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you just think the fluid loss was just normal loss. The transmission only had about 30,000 miles on it and it only had 2 quarts when we drained it.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fluid could have ran out the tailshaft while the trans was being removed/out/or installed. Then the tech didn't top the fluid off obviously because they left the dipstick hole plug in there.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes, if you only had two quarts of fluid in your tranny and were driving around like that, you could easily damage it. I'd be talking to that shop manager about your problem. They apparently forgot to check the fluid level and top it off after reinstalling the trans.

Quick Reply: Tech Left Plug In Transmission Fill Tube- What Problems May I Have In Future