Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e from astro van?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e from astro van?

so, my camaro 60e blew up, and i am concerned about the condition of the case, so right now i'm SHOPPING for a replacement unit to build. i would love to buy a built unit from one of the sponsors on the board, but $1500-2500 just isn't in the budget right away.
so far i've learned that a 2wd truck trans is the same as a camaro trans except for the torque arm mount, which i don't need anyway, as the trans is in a 79 monte carlo.

right now the best deal i can find is for a 2wd astro trans. i have read that the servo should be changed, but can find little to no info about whether the 2000 astro trans will bolt up and accept an LS1 torque converter.

my main concerns are:
price
interchangeability
longevity
availability
length (i don't want to cut/have another driveshaft made)

i am running a stock internal lq9, but will be upgrading H/C soon.
i expect to need to need to build this transmission before i build the engine, i just want to get back on the road.

so, my question is really: will a 2000 astro van transmission bolt up to an ls1 and be able to use the same length driveshaft (with tailshaft housing swap if needed)

sorry if i'm all over the place. i'm writing this between jobs at work.
tia
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so after some more reading i think i have found the answer to my question.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ame-v8-v6.html
perhaps frank from performabuilt can confirm that a v6 trans will not work behind a v8 without significant modification, if at all.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

That is a very good thread showing the difference between a 300mm ('98+ V8) and 298mm (V6 or pre-'98) input shaft.

A 298mm input shaft trans will take an LT-style converter and require a spacer on the flexplate to crank bolts, and elongation of the flexplate holes for the converter.
(Note: I have not done this myself, but read it in many threads.)

All 4L60E have the same size main case; you may want to reuse your old tail housing.
It would be good to put in a corvette servo (just need the 2nd apply piston/housing - $15), but this works better if the separator plate is drilled too. By the time you remove the separator plate, you might want to consider installing the Transgo HD2 shift kit ($80). Otherwise, also install the Sonnax 4l60E-LB1 boost valve ($25).
The internals (i.e. strength) is the same for V6 and V8 versions of the 4L60E.

I would still highly recommend finding a '98 or later 300mm transmission; however you should still make all the mods I mentioned above. An '02 through '06 would be best as GM make improvements to the strength during that period. After '06 they are electrically incompatible.

Quick Reply: 4l60e from astro van?