Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 4l60e problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 4l60e problems

The car is an 01 formula. Stock trans and converter as far as I know, I bought the car 2 years ago and it has worked fine since.

It has always had nice firm shifts. A few months ago I was attempting to pass someone wile cruising, when the trans downshifted to 2nd it felt like the trans was slipping. If I floor it from a dead stop it will go through 1-3 gears just fine, no slipping and the usual firm shifts. The problem only happens when the trans downshifts from a cruising speed, it has done it a few times. I am also noticing a slight flare in 4th when the converter locks up. The fluid doesn't smell burnt but is a little dark. During normal driving it operates fine.

Any ideas?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

The 3-2 downshift is controlled by the 3-2 downshift solenoid and the 3-2 control valve. It changes the timing according to how much throttle there is. Sounds like it has released the 3-4 clutch before it has engaged the 2nd gear band.
I have not seen many complaints posted here, but perhaps the builders have more experience. You could start with a new 3-2 downshift solenoid (about $15); beyond that you may need a rebuilt valve body.

The slight flare in 4th makes me wonder if the line pressure is low.

Since this is a bit out of my experience area, hopefully one of the builders will chime in too.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will change the solenoid this weekend.

Quick Reply: Help with 4l60e problems