Sponsored by:

accumulator springs question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accumulator springs question

Hi,
I have my valve body out in my 1999 4L60E transmission that comes from a 2wd truck.

I am trying to find som info on the springs and the different colours they have in the forward accumulator, 1-2 accumulator and 3-4 accumulator.
I would like to replace the plastic pistons on the forward and 1-2 accumulator and probably the 3-4 accumulator piston since I understand it is easy once the VB is out.
But I am not sure if I can use the springs that are with the plastic pistons or should I replace them? If so what colours?

I don't mind having a bit firmer shifts but since I don't dig deeper in the trans and I don't replace anything else besides the separator plate and the PWM valve with one that acts as on/off I am not sure it is worth it.

I tried to search the info for a couple of days wihout success
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

The highly preferred aluminum pistons for the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators use the same springs as the plastic pistons. I don't know what colors give you firmer shifts as I use either the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack springs.
I don't think there is an aluminum piston available for the forward accumulator, but Sonnax makes a pinless one. You might consider Pinless pistons for both the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulator; you can use the same springs with them.
(The HD2 1-2 accumulator springs do NOT work with Pinless pistons.)

Correction - Aluminum forward accumulator pistons are available. See below.

Last edited by mrvedit; 08-13-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Correction.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Launching!

thank you for your precise answers!
I will be able to order my parts today
Old 08-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Launching!

There is a aluminum forward accumulator piston available. Anyone selling these parts should have them.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
There is a aluminum forward accumulator piston available. Anyone selling these parts should have them.
Thank you for the correction.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Launching!

I went ahead and ordered all pinless pistons. The reason is that I was getting confused anyways with all the descriptions. And I wasn't sure anyways if they had the seals which seemed to be sold only as part of a rebuild kit. At least like this I know I am getting everything.
I will also be replacing the solenoid seals since I am in there.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by shrike
I went ahead and ordered all pinless pistons. The reason is that I was getting confused anyways with all the descriptions. And I wasn't sure anyways if they had the seals which seemed to be sold only as part of a rebuild kit. At least like this I know I am getting everything.
I will also be replacing the solenoid seals since I am in there.
Good choice. The same Pinless piston kits fits both the 1-2 and 3-4 accumulators. This is much less confusing than figuring out which piston pin diameters your trans is using. Also the Pinless pistons use two seals (instead of just one) and therefore seal better in worn bores.

Quick Reply: accumulator springs question