Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCC Lockup after 1870 Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TCC Lockup after 1870 Fix

I just recently just replaced the TCC Valve using the Teckpak 1870 fix kit. My 1870 has not come back, but I'm not certain that I'm getting TCC lockup. Before, I had a pretty obvious RPM drop once the converter locked up, but now I'm really not seeing any at all. Maybe with the new valve, lockup is too quick to notice?

my fear is that when I did the 1870 fix, maybe I didn't seat the TCC solenoid connector well, or maybe trans fluid got in the connector. But shouldn't that set a code? I will also say that the Teckpak valve was pretty snug to install... I had to tap it in with a hammer. The original had a little play (which I guess that play is why it had to be replaced?)

the car is a 2000 camaro 3.8L with 3.08's. at 70mph, i'm just under 2000rpms... maybe 1950-ish. according to this calculator, that is correct. But I do not know if that calculator takes TCC lockup into account http://f-body.org/gears/
Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Its not too hard to determine if your converter is locked up.
On the highway, give a little extra gas (less than 50% throttle). If the rpms immediately jump 300-400 rpm before the car speeds up, the converter is not locked. When a converter is locked, the rpms will exactly match up with car speed, just like a manual trans.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just installed the Teckpack Fitzall 1870 fix valve over the week-end.
I also had to tap it with a hammer and I cut the o-rings doing this, not much but still... The instructions say that if the valve is too tight with the o-rings on it, you should replace the o-rings with the extra ones that are in the package and it will be less tight.
I did this and it was better. It fit by only pushing it by hand.
Of course, you ahould also lube the o-rings with ATF fluid.

Quick Reply: TCC Lockup after 1870 Fix