Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter bad?

I have a fuddle 3200 torque convertor in my wife's H/C car. I have had an issue with it locking and unlocking for a LONG time now, but really need to get it right. It feels just like a skip or miss, but if you put it in 3rd, it goes completely away
I have the TCC pressure at 100%,and the misfire table maxed out.
Can a convertor just go BAD??
Any help?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The first step is to scan for any engine or transmission codes; not all codes immediately turn on the MIL light. The PWM TCC valve in the valve body often goes bad and gives a 1870 code which then disables the lockup, increases line pressure and gives a harsh 1-2 shift. Various engine codes can also cause the TCC to unlock.
What year is the trans? What kind of converter is it?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Locking and unlocking does not sound like a converter issue sounds more like random misfire either real or not. This may not set a code at all. But will cause the PCM to lock and unlock the converter randomly sand will tend to be worse in higher gears. I would suggest of course checking for codes But relooking at those misfire tables to. Also as mentioned excessive converter slip will cause the PCM to unlock the converter but would not lock and unlock it randomly and would set a code for component slipping.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys
It is a 99 with a fuddle 3200.
I have all of the misfire code tables set at max. I set the min. misfire "read" at 250* to "hopefully" turn off the misfire reading (which may not be the correct thing to do) I moved the lockup speed to 42 (from 50) per another post I read on lockup issues
I cleared all of the codes and took it for a drive. It "feels" a little better, but it seems to still be there in 4th. I put it in third and ran the same 1800-2000rpm and don't feel anything (I don't have it locking in third)
I have HPTuners. How can I log misfires, or any trans issues?
Thanks again for your help guys

Quick Reply: Converter bad?