Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sonnax sun shell

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sonnax sun shell

I have ran into a problem with the trans rebuild on this 95 4l60. The output shaft will not sit high enough to install the output snap ring when the Sonnax sun shell is in the trans. When i put the old sun shell back in, the snap ring can go on. With the new sun shell it only needs to come up about an extremly small amount, but cant install the snap ring. Has anyone ran into this?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you install the new low roller clutch race supplied with the SmartShell?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i did, and im using the new bearing that came with it. I reused the bronze bearing with the 4 locking tabs on the top. Ive tried everything and Ive taken this thing back apart over 20 times now trying to figure this out! Help! thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Be sure the bearing under the Sonnax shell is flush with the Sonnax supplied roller clutch race. This picture might help you:

Sonnax has supplied two kinds of torring bearings under the shell. One is a 1-piece, the other is a 3-piece. It is a bit trickier to get the 3-piece aligned correctly.

If you are still stuck, I will call member CarlsonAuto who is a builder and Sonnax guru.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you I would take it out of the transmission and try to assembe it where you can see it all much like what ted has going on in the picture above. You can put the output shaft in a vice (vertically) to make it a bit easier just be sure its in there good so it doesnt fall out when you start adding more weight. Make sure you dont clamp it anywhere that will mar up anything important.

Make sure you have all of your torringtom bearings in correctly, make sure you "glue" them in place with transgel or vasaline so they stay put. Also make sure the inner race of the roller clutch is installed correctly and moves freely like it should, they can be a pain sometimes.

Quick Reply: sonnax sun shell