Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80e questions

I have a 2000 model chevy 2500 4x4 6.0 LQ4 (im guessing since it has iron heads). My transmission shifted really hard about 6 times and by the time I got it home it was slipping into second. I pulled the engine and trans out and when I got the trans apart it had 4 snap ring lugs laying in the pan. While I am doing the trans rebuild I am going to be putting on 317 heads and a small cam (prob 224r or 228r) and headers. My questions are these:

1. What should I do to the transmission besides a normal rebuild? I already bought a rebuild kit, just need to know what else to do that I really need for this amount of tq/hp. I dont want to do too many unneeded mods because I am on somewhat of a budget.

2. can someone give me clearances for the clutch packs? I have read many articles and it seems that no answer was the same. It seems that the clearances in the manual are alot larger than what everyone else does.

3. Since the snap ring lugs were missing I have to tear down another case to use, which is a 2wd as opposed to my 4wd. Both cases are 2000 models so is there anything I am going to have to do to the 2wd case to make it match the 4wd case?

Also does anyone have a part number or link for the thicker snap ring so it wont break the lugs off again?

thanks for any help.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think around 0.010" per friction is what the norm is from what research I've done. Mine are pretty loose too even with new parts, I had to put thicker steels in the intermediate and the direct to get anywhere near that spec.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info, anyone else want to chime in or any sponsors want to sell me anything?

Quick Reply: 4L80e questions