Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Transmission 3rd Gear Only

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Transmission 3rd Gear Only

Hi All. New here and with an issue. I'll add a lil disclaimer that I am asking regarding a 2001 Silverado Z71 4WD but any searches bring up a lot of really good information regarding the 4L60E from this website. I'm hoping to gain some help from you guys if possible. I am cross posting this from another forum where I received many views but no response.

I have a 2001 Silverado Z71 with 265,000 miles on the 4L60E. I started hearing squealing sounds and assumed it was the belts since the truck sits often and can sit for a week or more at times w/o moving. My troubles began when my transmission cooler lines rusted through and I began losing fluid. As soon as I noticed it I parked the truck and replaced the lines. I have no idea how many miles were driven before noticing and how much fluid was lost. After replacing the lines I added more fluid to the hash lines and drove w/o issue.

About 15 miles in I noticed it became sluggish and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts hung before engaging. This was followed quickly by an engine code of P0756 and nothing but 3rd gear. Once I got home I ran thru the gears and all I had was 3rd. No 1, 2, 4, or R. I dropped the pan, replaced the filter and both shift solenoid as they seemed to be a common issue. I filled the transmission back up with fluid and am in the same spot I was.

Park is normal. No vehicle movement.
Reverse does nothing.
Neutral will lunge forward almost as if it is in gear.
Drive will move forward in what seems to be 3rd gear.
3 acts as 3rd would
2 slightly wants to try and move forward but won't budge
1 does nothing.

I'd love to avoid a rebuild as I'm sure anyone would. If it comes down to it I'd tackle it myself. There seems to be plenty of information around to guide me through it and I can handle the task. There were no obvious signs of failure as in jerking or loud sounds. It all stems from the cooler repair. Maybe coincidence, Maybe not.

Are there any other avenues I should take to diagnose? I could go to a transmission shop but I'd imagine they'd want to dig into the transmission to find something and at that point I would do that myself.

Thanks for your time and any input you have to offer.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Transmission 3rd Gear Only