Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 / 4l80 help i dont no what i should do.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 / 4l80 help i dont no what i should do.

Starting a build.. I have a 04 lq4 with all wires and a 4l80 4/4 trans every thing came out of a 04 silverado hd 2500.

Now i dont no much about transmissions . To make the one i have work i would have to take it all apart to switch it to 2wd. So i am just going to sell it and look for a new one.

My guestions are... When looking for another 4l80 what years will work.

Will the ecm controle any year 4l80..
If so and
If the wireing connectors are different and not just plug and play are there adaptors or how is it done.

What are the differences in the years of 4l80

What is the best year 4l80 i am sure thay are all good for diferent reasons but as far as price..parts..reilabil. And further performance building/ add ons

I have looked online and seen many different answers to parts of my guestions but would like to get all the right anwencers and repost it in a build thread so it can help others with these same guestions.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any year 4l80 will work. The ecm will control any year. If you get a 1991-93 you will need to change the internal harness on the trans (easy). do a search for the differences, it has been discussed several times. (the very old and very new (08+) have a diff PWM control that you need to change in your cal or change the solenoid) Older is best for price, newer is best for application because it will have the top bolt hole and prob less abuse/miles. Pars and rebuild-ability is the same for all years. all 80's can be built for 1000+ HP

Quick Reply: lq4 / 4l80 help i dont no what i should do.