Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intense Vibration - Built Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intense Vibration - Built Car

I just picked up a 2000 C5, engine runs nicely, put it in drive, and accelerate a bit and she vibrates like crazy, shakes the whole car. Gets worse as RPMs climb, 1-2 shift is crisp, 2-3 is a bit soft. Vibration in all gears.

Need some help with where to start. No trans codes, pulled pan and see a bit of metal shavings in the bottom. Torque converter bolts are tight. Previous owner said last pass he made down the strip, he felt the 2-3 shift slip, he suspected trans or torque converter.

Car Details:
2000 C5, A4
2800 stall(unkn brand)
line lock
'fully built' trans from a local shop
fully built 383, 200+ shots of nitrous, 10.8 CR, race cam
650-750 whp on the nitrous, 450 ish N/A

I have half a mind to just buy a RPM Stg V trans and converter, but thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas to focus in on the source of the vibration first.

Any help is appreciated.
Trevor
Old 01-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

I have never heard of a 4L60E with all gears "working" cause a vibration in all gears and I have read every trans thread here for two years. Of course there always can be a first time,

Is the vibration more RPM or more MPH related?
So the engine revs without vibration in Park/Neutral?

This might be more a question for the Corvette forum. But perhaps the driveshaft within the torque tube when the engine is under load?

Putting the rear wheels in the air might help you pinpoint the problem; I just don't think its the trans unless the mounting for it is very loose.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Trans is mounted solid. This is def RPM/Load more than MPH related. I will fill it with fluid and see if I can see any vibrations with it up on the lift.

I am leaning towards torque converter. Last time I started, the torque converter would lock up as soon as I started moving forward, killing engine. Under high load it doesn't feel like it is engaging fully. Fluid smells a little bit smoked, but not like a clutch pack went out.

When the 3/4 clutch pack goes out on these cars, is there usually a lot of clutch material in the pan? There was not an abnormal amount of stuff in the pan other than a few metal bits.

Also, I am running billet torque tube couplers, that will transfer a lot more vibrations to the cabin.

Last edited by trevorradman; 01-02-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM

The converter sounds like a likely culprit based on it sometimes locking up during the start.
Good luck - they are a pain to change on the C5.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The converter sounds like a likely culprit based on it sometimes locking up during the start.
Good luck - they are a pain to change on the C5.
Thanks for the input!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I have never heard of a 4L60E with all gears "working" cause a vibration in all gears and I have read every trans thread here for two years. Of course there always can be a first time,

Is the vibration more RPM or more MPH related?
So the engine revs without vibration in Park/Neutral?

This might be more a question for the Corvette forum. But perhaps the driveshaft within the torque tube when the engine is under load?

Putting the rear wheels in the air might help you pinpoint the problem; I just don't think its the trans unless the mounting for it is very loose.
Vibration 'is' there in Neutral as well. Still not sure where to start.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by trevorradman
Vibration 'is' there in Neutral as well. Still not sure where to start.
The driveshaft within the torque tube in spinning even in Neutral, as it is the converter. The only part of the trans that is then spinning is the input drum. While input drums are known to crack, they then cause more than vibration - you quickly lose all gears.

Quick Reply: Intense Vibration - Built Car