Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinion/question regarding converter brands for OEM replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default opinion/question regarding converter brands for OEM replacement

Hey guys, this is a non LS1/F-body related question, mainly just a general question regarding OEM replacement brand's of torque converters. There are a million different torque converter rebuilders and performance converter shops scattered across the US so settling on a specific one if your a brand sackrider like I am can be quite bothersome. I have to replace a converter in a 4T45E trans from a cobalt SS, while the car does see some weekend drag time, its a DD so im not looking for a high stall monster converter like i had purchased a few years ago for another car. But im a little uneasy as far as what brand I should go with, obviously im looking for somthing quality, but not looking to spend an insane amount of money.

I noticed that rockauto picked up a in house USA reman brand called "alliance torque converters". I've always had really good luck with rockauto and the brands they choose to sell, but what got me more then anything was the price...51.99 for this converter after the core return, seems like its kinda one of those too good to be true kinda brands. What little research I could find on the company they seemed to be an ok company, was wondering if anyone has ever heard of them since you guys on LS1tech have probably the most experience with GM autos more then any other forum out there. Or if you guys had other OEM replacement brands in mind that would serve this purpose better.

They list a pretty fair number of servicing techniques for their products and they offer a 2 year warranty which I thought was pretty interesting, shows confidence in their work. Thoughts on this?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...335&cc=1432559

Internal parts separated and washed at 150 degrees
Threads inspected and replaced with new parts
Pilot is inspected and reworked if necessary
Converter lid & clutch re-turned to spec
Inspection of hub, polish if necessary
New hub is computer welded
Re-turning of bearing surface
Stator is re-built
New clutch is bonded at 450 degrees
New bearings and seals are installed
Inspection of overall height is performed before body welding
Unit is body welded holding original spec clearance
Unit is leak tested at 120 psi (operating psi is only 40-60 psi)
Inspection of run out, Alliance holds .010 (industry standard is .015)
Unit is fluid balanced to check within 5 grams or less
2nd polishing of hub prior to paint
Inspection of pump splines with shaft if necessary
Welding of balance weight if necessary
Grease hub for rust protection
Unit is repainted with high quality Sherman Williams paint

ALLIANCE Warranty Information
24 months

Quick Reply: opinion/question regarding converter brands for OEM replacement