Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse camera question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse camera question

Ok guys to be honest this question might be a tough one without a lexus engineer but Im looking at a few touch screen stereos with a rear view camera and was wondering if anyone have experience with a sensor that turns on the reverse camera when you shift into reverse?

Im looking at kenwood, Pioneer App Radio 3, and Alpine. But im assuming since its an aftermarket stereo system on a car that didn’t come with that stereo from factory I would have to click on the reverse camera view before I shift into reverse every time. Im not too sure about that though. I haven’t called any of those 3 companies to get confirmation. Just trying to find a way for the rear view to work without wasting the time to get the rear view manually.

Would be revolutionary for a 4th gen if it goes the way I plan

Anyways any clues would help,
Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could probably run a relay inline with the reverse light circuit that activated the camera.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, just need to grab the reverse light wire. There is a gear shift indicator inside the trans valve body that sends feedback to the PCM and likely the BCM on which gear its in for engine management and body electrical (like reverse lights). Just need to find that wire. At the actual reverse light would be where I'd go since its a known location.

Quick Reply: Reverse camera question