Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking 4l80e help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default leaking 4l80e help!

whole problem started over the summer when my trans. pan bottomed out and got scraped really bad. (I have the morosso cast aluminum pan) a couple days after it happened i went into the garage and saw fluid all over the floor so I thought I scraped thru the aluminum. I pulled the pan and welded it, reinstalled it. I refilled the trans. and a few days later there was fluid all over the floor again. I just dropped the pan the other day and noticed one of the rails was a little warped and it had the factory plastic style gasket on it. I straightened the pan and put a cork/rubber gasket in with some rtv figuring that would help take up any leftover deviations in the rails. i reinstalled it yesterday, filled the trans. and jacked the front of the car up to work on something else and i saw it pissing fluid out if the drivers side (especially the rear corner) of the pan. This seems impossible that its still leaking form here.

Is it leaking from something right above the pan rail that I cant see? whatever it is it leaks out with the car off as the converter drains back. Am I overfilling it or something? Im at a total loss
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Kinda hard to diagnose leaks over the net.
It should not leak near the pan even if overfilled.
Are you sure the "scrape" didn't crack the case near a pan bolt?

Wait until it stops leaking, clean the area very carefully, add a 1/4-1/2 of a quart and watch where it comes out.

Hey, I'm just guessing here, as no one else has commented.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean it up as best as you can and then stick little bits of paper towel around various connectors and potential cultprits to see if oil is coming from that source. I had a very tiny leak from the seal that connects to the shifter linkage that made it look like the leak was coming from the pan.

Quick Reply: leaking 4l80e help!