Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on converters effect on trans.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need info on converters effect on trans.

I'm about to install a fresh "ls6" long block into my 03 silverado, and I'd like to install an inexpensive converter while I have it apart. Im trying to find more information about how different types of converters can effect the transmission. I know the 4l60e arent the toughest trans out there, and I dont want to run a converter that will put more stress on it, if thats possible.

Does a looser converter with a higher rpm stall put more stress on the trans?

I plan to run a Circle D 3000-3200 in my 2003 regular cab, short bed silverado 1500, with an ls1 5.7 shortblock, 243 heads, custom cam/springs, truck intake/tb/injectors/exhaust. I've heard I should install a trans cooler as well.

Intended use is just street driving, and possibly towing a light boat on occassion. No track, ever. But I like to raise a little hell on the street once in while.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 278mm 2a will run a little bit warmer than the stock converter so a cooler is a good idea. we carry two different sizes. Other than turning more rpm around town, there will be no additional wear on your transmission. On the highway the converter will be locked so it is no different than the stock converter. We carry a vette servo which is an easy bolt on while you're working in that area. It will firm your 2nd gear shift. Have you looked into shift kits?

-Brian
Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

As mentioned and repeated here a 1000+ times, a big aftermarket cooler should be considered a necessity with a higer stall converter. Nothing will help your trans more than keeping it cool.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

For at WOT or near WOT,it has always been an assumption of mine that a higher convertor would have a 'higher wear' effect on the components in the tranny that engage for shift to transmit power because that engagement is now occurring at a higher rpm/power level.
For gears,it has always been an assumption of mine that a higher numerical ratio makes it easier on the engine,tranny(whether A4 or M6),u-joints,& driveshaft because those components(because of the rear gearing)now have a better mechanical advantage over the weight and resistance to forward acceleration.
So who's gonna make the typical 'assumption' remark.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

So its pretty safe to assume any additional power will cause more stress to the trans. Same with a converter. I figured as much, and also assumed the higher you stall, and the better you hook, the worse it will be on the drivetrain.

Thx Brian, I plan to buy that converter real soon, along with the tru cool. The cam was ground for it, so it has to happen. I see that trucool makes different models. What is the "cold weather bypass" all about? Im in Florida, so I dont expect any cold weather...
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Nevermind, i get it. I dont need the bypass.

Quick Reply: Need info on converters effect on trans.