Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alto Carbonite Wide Band with thick Anchors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alto Carbonite Wide Band with thick Anchors...

Is there a trick to the install on this band??? The clearances are just Too Damn Tight peroid!!! Pulled everything apart & put the stock band in for a comparison & its Great!!! Kinda like the thickness of the anchor & stuff is just takin up the extra play... The band doesnt seem to be riding on the little lip of the machined area & tabs that mesh together on the Sunshell & I got the Smart Shell plus a new A/C Delco drum... Im pullin My hair out here Please Help!!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

If the valve body is installed, you may have to loosen it a bit and push the input drum/shaft over as far as possible to get the band in.
Since the check ***** in the valve body are 1/4" you should be able to loosed the valve body by 1/8".
It is generally easier to install the valve body after the band so that the anchor pin is installed after the band is in place.
The Sonnax Smart shell will not change anything, but just to be sure, have you checked the end play yet? I check end play before installing the 3/4 clutch and don't even bother with the reverse drum for this check.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

End play is spot on & I took it all apart so Im not worried about check ***** LoL The have trans gel assy lube on em in the valve body anyway This is the hardest part of the whole build soo far LoL
I think a wide band with regular anchors would work fine & a stock replacement too But Im not one to let stuff whup up on Me Soo Id like to know if I need to grind or file the band pin hole to the thickness of the stock one & flatten the anchor hump part to the same height as stock??? Seems like Alto shoulda caught this kinda snafu LoL Ive got a 2 groove servo pin & a shorter or longer one aint gonna change much at a few thousandths!!! Ive even put the empy stock drum in there & still same issue!!! Stock band is great but the new wide one is just too tight Like maybe .050 clearance on the servo cover... Corvette servos with the stock pin soo nothin special or way off either LoL Its drivin Me Crazy
Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Sorry, but one of the pro builders will have to chime in here. I have not had problems with the wide bands I have used.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Its got Me scratchin My head LoL I just want the thing Done soo I can set My LT1 & 4x4 trans in the S10 ext cab so I can move on to the wiring & other stuff... IF nobody can help on this issue I guess next spare cash I get I will order a Borg Warner High Energy band & Sonnax 2-3 hvy duty shift valve for the valve body...

Quick Reply: Alto Carbonite Wide Band with thick Anchors...