Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible converter problem? Clicking/rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible converter problem? Clicking/rattling

I have been hearing a noise lately coming from the bellhousing area. I checked it out tonight and came up with nothing. All bolts are tight and no obvious cracks in flex plate. I also listened to the oil pan and trans pump with a stethoscope and all sounds normal. Is this a possible converter noise? The noise comes and goes mainly when hot at idle. I can kill the truck and restart and the noise will go away for a minute or so. The guy at edge converters assured me it wasn't the converter but I'm not sure I'm buying it. Here is a short video of the sound.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Noone? The sound is for sure coming from the converter. Im just not sure if the converter would make this noise or if it could be pump related. The truck still drives perfectly normal.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Sorry, a clicking sound is barely audible in that video.
I really don't have the experience to diagnose it from the sound, but I don't recall any "bell housing" noise threads that turned out to be the converter.
Make sure the starter is fully disengaging. There have been some threads that turned out to be cracked flexplates.

Maybe someone with a better ear and more experience will take a crack (pun intended) at it.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your converter bolts are tight?

Edit: you said you checked and all bolts are tight. I would double check. What's weird is it comes and goes.
-Brian
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D_Brian
Are your converter bolts are tight?

-Brian
The OP said they were.
However since he has a 4L80E, he likely has a spacer on the flexplate and those bolts are harder to check.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

I would have guessed he is running the dished flex plate, no spacer, with a ring style 3 pad converter. Exact setup would be good info to have.

-Brian
Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I'm running the 80 flat flexplate. I just took everything loose and pried and looked at the flexplate with a flashlight. Nothing is loose or cracked. Everything is tightened back up and the noise is still there. I'm wondering if it's possible that the pump is making the noise and I'm hearing it through the converter. It almost sounds like somethin bouncing around inside the converter. A little throttle and the noise disappears.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

That flex plate doesn't tend to crack. mrvedit said the only other thing I can think of. Starter. The truck hasn't lost any performance has it?

-Brian
Old 05-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Not a bit. It consistently does 1.8x 60's. Ive been under the truck while the noise is apparent. There is nothing obvious at all externally going on. My dust shield is long gone so i have a clear view of everything. I have probably spent 3 hrs under the truck the past two days trying to figure this out. I may just try to ignore it until it becomes more apparent.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

Let it eat. haha. Keep us posted.

-Brian
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever figure this out? Having the exact issue with mine at idle in neutral or park. Blip the throttle or put in gear and it is long gone.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Still haven't figured it out. Now I'm having a problem of the converter not locking up at all. Still haven't figured out if it's the converter or something valve body related.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well figured mine out yesterday. The holes on the flexplate ovaled out somehow and was causing slop on my circle d flexplate. I am thinking one or two of the crank bolts must have loosened or something.

Quick Reply: Possible converter problem? Clicking/rattling