Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would happen to a junk converter and 700whp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would happen to a junk converter and 700whp?

Basically, I am wondering about my existing converter. I bought it off a member here, and was told it would stall higher than it does.

Engine is a turbo Lq4 putting down over 700whp. My problem is that the converter stalls at 2000 rpm on the nose. Foot brake, trans brake, doesn't matter. However, when I just mash the gas, build up speed and eventually get into boost, it seems to hold great. I've been running it all summer with no issues, other than the low stall.

So I don't think I really got screwed on the converter, I just don't think the seller realized it would stall so low with my setup.

I'm under the impression that if the converter were garbage, then 700+whp would have brought that fact to light rather quickly. Yes/no? If that is the case, then I can just pull it out and have it tweaked a little to have a higher stall then... I think...
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a big name converter or no name? besides not being efficient i'd be more worried about it pushing on the thrust bearing in high power as it appears you are boosted if it's not a high quality converter
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not highly educated on torque converters, so I will just share all of the info I have about it. Here is the information he gave me.

"That converter is a Continental 10" supercharged converter that originally came from Freddy Brown Transmission out of New York (FB Transmissions) It was purchased NEW with one of their Stage 5 PG transmissions about 10 years ago and I ran it behind my supercharged 400" Olds Rocket O/L 10.5 car.

It is a really good efficient torque converter for a 1500HP car weighing around 3200-3300#, it is just a bit older but has very few runs on it. I snapped an input shaft is the reason I had Marty Chance check it out. It was fine.
"

Then there is this.

"As far as the converter, it is tight, as in a 'flash' to 4K would be my best guess in your turbo application, foot brake around 3400. My car had 3.70 gears, 28" tires, and weighed 3000#.

These race converters aren't really rated like the Circle D's, Yanks, etc. I am not sure on the torque multiplication ratio, but it should be right in there for a 1000FWHP application
."

So, again... I don't THINK I got screwed on the converter. I think I'm just not making enough low end torque to get it to stall at that 3200 that I was hoping.

Quick Reply: What would happen to a junk converter and 700whp?