Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS horizontal automatic transmission / transaxle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS horizontal automatic transmission / transaxle?

Hey all,

Spent the last week researching the 4T65E-HD, and found out it can only support 400 HP unless you can find some crazy illusive 1 inch racing chain only made back in 2008. Also the 4T80E doesn't have enough room for the LS to fit.

This is going to be in a boosted application, and would like to have a nice power gap for reliability. Really having some trouble finding some other options.

I might be able to get away with a automatic transaxle that has the axle outputs really close to the engine.

Anything?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Alright, that's what I thought. Thanks guys!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fwd w bodies that went 8's & 9's were all running that 1" chain for sure but theres some pretty stout 7/8 chains running around on turbo w bodies putting down well over 500 stay away from the 15/16 chains they are known to be weaker than the 7/8 I forget what the issue is but its in the manufacturing method I recall

I would talk to dave over at triple edge performance to get his opinion he is super helpful around the boards very knowledgeable and I have never heard of him leading someone down the wrong path.

you didn't say what this is going in.... there is also the old school turbo hydromatic 425 which is essentially a turbo 400 integrated into a transaxle designed to survive behind 455 to 500 cubic inch big blocks in toronados and eldorados as well as a lot of use in massive motorhomes I think you will find that can be built to take a ton of power but it is not the traditional transverse mount engine placement it is longitudinal.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for the response murphinator.

I actually did speak with Dave at TEP, and he didn't give me much confidence in the transmission being able to handle the job.

"600whp can be a tall order and without a hard to find GM Racing 1" drive chain set I wouldn't bother attempting. The best currently available chain set is a 7/8" single chain set and good for about 450whp, above and beyond that the GM Racing chain set is a must and will handle the power just fine. We have customers making over 600whp so building it for that is not a big problem just special type of build and these are not bulletproof at that power level no matter what you do to them unfortunately. We come across the GM Racing chain sets now and but are pricey."

I am attempting to put 2 of them in a super wide ~3200 lb half tube frame racecar. With that being said, it would greatly simply things than having offset diffs and drive shafts running to each side. Although, much stronger than what I have found so far.

I will look into the hydromatic 425! Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: LS horizontal automatic transmission / transaxle?