Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick a 4L80e converter, DD, RCSB, 5.3L stock motor, 70mm turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help me pick a 4L80e converter, DD, RCSB, 5.3L stock motor, 70mm turbo

Hey all, I need help choosing a converter. I have an 05 RCSB Z71 5.3L. I want to be able to run mid to high 11s reliably, and drive the truck every day. I will probably go to the track once to see what it runs, and 99.99% of the rest of the time the truck will serve as a spirited driver. Once in a while I'd like to go to hunting for a grudge match.

I've decided on a 70mm turbo kit, haven't decided which kit yet. I do not plan to shoot for much over 550rwhp, as I have other toys and this truck needs to serve as a true DD.

That being said, anyone have any converter suggestions? I do plan on a Tru-Cool 40k, I have a trans temp gauge, and I do not plan to ever tow more than a car trailer with a 3500lb car on it. At the top of the list right now is the Circle D 278mm single disc (they say with this combo it will flash to around 3400rpm), but I am open to other Circle D options (do I need a multi disc??) or Yank or whichever you think will suit my needs best. Any ideas guys? I will admit I know very little about automatics, including lockup characteristics of converters. I just know I want a mild DD combination that is responsive and driveable.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are going to be at the limit of that HP series converter. We rate them to hold 500rwhp, but much past that, flexing of the stamped steel parts becomes an issue. Enter our Billet Pro Series....The multi disk is nice to have in the turbo applications because of the extra load you can apply to the motor. Great for boost. Perhaps some people with turbo 5.3 setups can chime in and give you some personal experiences. After all, my opinion could be a bit biased.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Help me pick a 4L80e converter, DD, RCSB, 5.3L stock motor, 70mm turbo