Sponsored by:

2nd/3rd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 PM
JGL
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd/3rd Gear

Hey guys i have a 98 z28 When i punch it off the line it bangs first which is normal if im going full throttle but then it like chrips the tires shifting into 2nd, stays in 2nd for like 2 seconds then shifts too third... any reason why this might be happening ?
Old 10-29-2015, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

we need more information. what kind of tranny are you running? any mods on the tranny, engine, computer, etc...
Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 AM
JGL
Teching In

Originally Posted by shadowfirep
we need more information. what kind of tranny are you running? any mods on the tranny, engine, computer, etc...
Auto... Stock Tranny.
Just Exhaust and Intake.
LS1
I think theres a shift kit in it but its from the factory not sure how to go about about figuring that out.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Moving to more appropriate section,
Old 10-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

First step is to scan for codes. Engine sensor problems can cause unusual trans shifting.
Also unclear what you are saying - e.g. no idea what "bangs first" means.
Are you mostly saying that it upshifts to 3rd prematurely? At what RPM is it making each shift?
Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 PM
JGL
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
First step is to scan for codes. Engine sensor problems can cause unusual trans shifting.
Also unclear what you are saying - e.g. no idea what "bangs first" means.
Are you mostly saying that it upshifts to 3rd prematurely? At what RPM is it making each shift?
Bang as in rev the whole first gear lol and it shifts into 3rd at like 1-1500 Rpms
Old 11-02-2015, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Does this happen under normal driving. ie anything under WOT will it act normally?

What happens when you put it in manual 2? will it hold 2nd as long as you manually select it?

The more information you give us here the more educated response we can make.

what i think you're saying so far is, under WOT, 1-2 shift happens as it should and feels solid like it should, but it shifts out of 2nd very soon after the 1-2 shift is made. correct?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 PM
JGL
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Does this happen under normal driving. ie anything under WOT will it act normally?

What happens when you put it in manual 2? will it hold 2nd as long as you manually select it?

what i think you're saying so far is, under WOT, 1-2 shift happens as it should and feels solid like it should, but it shifts out of 2nd very soon after the 1-2 shift is made. correct?
You know I never tried to put it in 2nd and see how it drove. It only happens when I punch it if I'm driving normally it'll shift at low RPMS as it should every gear. But when I put some power into it the car will shift very hard... A friend told me that there is a shift kit in the car which could be why it shifts like but still trying to understand why when I punch it it'll rev out 1st year go into 2nd for like 2 seconds then shift to third.

What do you mean by WOT?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:15 PM
JGL
Teching In

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1

UPDATE- tried it in 2nd gear car drove fine
Old 11-04-2015, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

WOT is "wide open throttle" meaning when you have the pedal to the floor.

If it drives properly under normal throttle, how does it respond when "manually" shifting under WOT?

If you start in manual 1st from a stop giving it plenty of power, then shift from 1-2, will it carry the gear all the way until shifting into third? or will it "fall out" of 2nd

Quick Reply: 2nd/3rd Gear