Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 T-Brake/shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TH400 T-Brake/shift problem

Hey guys. Im having a few issues with my 98 Camaro. Its a carb swapped 383 on e85, th400, 9".

Im running a TCI th400 RMVB with a t-brake. 3600 fti sst 9" converter.

My issues:

1. Sometimes, not everytime, it doesn't want to shift when at WOT. When I manually shift it, I have to do it around 5500rpm. sometimes it will sit there and bounce off the limiter (6800) and I have to get off the throttle for it to shift. But sometimes when I shift at 5500, it will shift sooner and im shifter well below where I want to. Also, I had the issue where I took it to the track, and the trans brake didn't hold. I staged in first gear, got on the t-brake, took my foot off the brake and got on the gas, and right when I did the car jumped, then held on the tbrake. this has happened a few times. sometimes my tbrake works and holds good, other times it doesn't.

When I first put the trans in the car and got it working good, the tbrake worked everytime and shifted good. reverse was easy and good then too. now, everytime I put it in neutral and get on the tbrake, I have to rev it about 3500+rpms to get the car to reverse. even then, its slow to do it.

2. 3rd gear. I took the car to the track and left off the brake. it left good and went into 2nd gear just fine. but when I went into 3rd gear, it never went in. it does this from time to time.

what I don't get, it when I regularly street drive it, the trans goes into every gear just fine, (except when using the trans brake for reverse). Trans fluid is where its supposed to be.

In short, my question would be where do I start looking/what would cause the tbrake to be intermittently working, late shifts, and sometimes no 3rd gear? Btw, with the car off, I can hit the trans brake and the solenoid is working good, fast, and loud every single time. im stumped. Please help! thanks
Old 11-02-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Direct Clutches going south? The Directs effect Reverse & Third (And the Brake if they don't hold)
Old 11-03-2015, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to pull the trans for a rebuild. ill definitely check that out. thank you. Do you recommend a certain rebuild kit?

Quick Reply: TH400 T-Brake/shift problem