Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e

im about to start a build just trying to price some things out and i have a used 4l60e that i have laying around. How much would a full rebuild on it cost to handle around 600hp on the daily, i dont want to spend a crazy amount and break my bank and my feelings. or recommend me another trans for my buck, thanks in advance for the input.

Last edited by dtbeard13; 02-08-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

This recent thread should give you some ideas:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...arts-list.html

You might also look at the parts list for the FinishLine Transmission Level 5:
http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...vyDuty4L65.htm

For 600HP, I would add the Sonnax Input drum, billet pump rotor and a billet output shaft. Those are all included in their Level 6:
http://www.finishlinetrans.com/trans...meDuty4L65.htm

At 600HP it may be cheaper (and more reliable!) to install a 4L80E.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does finishline sell it as a kit, i have someone to rebuild it for me already
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM

No FLT does not sell it as a kit; the intention was to give you a list from a reputable source, instead of just from me.
Many parts are on Amazon.
I keep trying to get TruTechTrans to come on as a sponsor as they sell both kits and build transmissions. They may not have the billet output shaft and pump rotor; I think FLT will sell you those parts.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:38 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

For years I have used the "stock" input drum almost without problems. If flexing were so bad, GM would not be able to get 250,000 - 300,000+ miles out of these transmissions, and I would not be able to get many hundreds of passes (in 9 & 10 second vehicles) out of these units with very little "if any" problems in the 3-4 clutch area. Very rare does the snap ring area break. I have been called a "minimalist" by Frank as CPT. For 38+ years, I have learned to work with what you have and solve problems without throwing a lot of money at it. Sonnax solves problems that in the vast majority of cases exist at a minimum and they charge a lot of money for the fix.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Dana, you like Dynamic396, Clinebarger and other pro builder have the experience to examine a used input drum, listen to how it rings, etc, to determine if it can be reused.
Us DIYers don't have that experience. Nothing that a DIYer hates more than to rebuild the trans, install it and have a previously marginal part fail. Hence, I encourage DIYers to "throw a little money at it" and upgrade more parts than are probably necessary. Partly to ensure that possibly-marginal parts are replaced.
So sure, DIYers that are following my advise over the past few years are spending a bit more money than they need, but seem to be very happy with the results. And the success rate seems to be higher than before.

Quick Reply: 4l60e