Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with 1998 T/A auto having shifting issues need help/ advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with 1998 T/A auto having shifting issues need help/ advice

Hi, im new to the forum but have been lurking through reading threads for a few weeks. Great tips and advice so far so i figured and i hope someone does answer, that id ask about my newest rides auto trans shifting issues.

First some background.
Im 30 years old and have owned atleast 1 fbody since my first car at 16 yrs old(1978 T/A) currently own a 78 T/A - 89 Iroc- Z28, a 81 z28 and the car im hving issues with is a 1998 T/A auto trans ram-air, t-top, midnight blue. Has 62,000 miles i paid $6,000 for it 3 weeks ago no body damage, good paint and interior etc... Car sat in a garage 11 1/2 months a year since new i bought it from step father who is the original owner.

Now the problem im having is no myter how hard or light u push the throttle goin from 1st to 2nd it either over revs an eventually shifts or it hovers around 6000 for a frw secs and then shifts. On top of that wether i smash the pedal from a stop or rolling at any speed in any gear it just goes upto around 6500 rpms and then starts like redlining and bouncing up down between 6000 rpms and redline. Any ideas what the problem is? Should i be making plans to replace the trans soon? Any info is appreiciated. Thanx
Old 03-02-2016, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked the transmission fluid yet?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94_LT1_TransAm
Have you checked the transmission fluid yet?
Yes sir, i checked it quite a few times, making sure that the car was level and in park while idling. Operating temperature at normal as in i drove about 10 miles total before checking and kept the gear shifter in o/d the whole time i warmed it up, no manual up or downshifting. Fluid doesn't smell burnt and is a decent cherry red color. Was a lil low. Added 1 qt total. Also if it may point to anything before I bought it from my step father he had taken it on a trip from carroll county md to west union wv. 4 hrs long drive and about 325 miles each way. Lots of up and down hills or mountains. It was fine he said the entire time and it wasn't noticed until i bought an drove it away 2 weeks later. Also i just went to gas station and noticed when cold it doesn't seem to do it and shifts fine but only about the first mile or 2 then it starts acting up again. I guess my wife was right i shoulda stuck to the older stuff that i KNOW inside and out! This is my first personal vehicle ever owned newer than a 1989 unless u count tye wifes 06 town and country we bought new in 06. Lol really hate to have to hear i told u so if this is something im going to have to pay out the behind for to have a mechanic look at
Old 03-02-2016, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear ya on paying a lot for a mechanic lol, when my A4 4l60e torque converter spilled its guts, I paid a little over $1000 for a rebuild and cleaning of the parts that were still good. But if you dont want to mess with the costs... ill take the car off your hands lol
Old 04-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Teching In

so I have the same problem. Ever get it fixed?

Quick Reply: Newbie with 1998 T/A auto having shifting issues need help/ advice