Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the 2-3 "clunk" be tuned out??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can the 2-3 "clunk" be tuned out??

First off I have to say I just completed a performance rebuild using PBA's top shelf kit and his knowledge and advice. The tranny works great along with the circle D 3600 stall.. Progressively harder shifts with throttle is where its at!
Now the 4l60e transmission has the infamous 2-3 shift clunk at light throttle only. This is inherent from the performance parts installed. I know why its doing it, the 2-4 band is releasing sooner than the 3-4 clutches apply which causes the trans to freewheel for a split second then bang into 3rd gear. The downshift from 3-2 is the same. WOT is absolutely perfect!!

What I am wondering is if there is something I can do to the transmission tune to minimize this condition. Line pressure, shift time, etc. I have HP tuners.
If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate the help!

I also want to give Kudos to Dana, so great to work with and his kit was so well built and straight forward to install!!
thanks
Paul
Old 03-13-2016, 09:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

I've never heard of a tuning solution in 12+ years on this forum. It's something most of us just learn to live with. Mine's been doing it for 100k+. I will add that having a one piece aluminum driveshaft may likely increase the audible perception of it. It seems to me that the "clink" that I hear is coming from the driveshaft.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

Interesting problem that some people are having.
My 2-3 shift is quick yet smooth at all throttle amounts and I even have an aluminum driveshaft. No clunks or clicks.

OP: How big did you drill the 3rd feel hole (also called the 2-3 shift hole) in the separator plate? Did you install a 2nd cushion spring in the servo?

Quick Reply: Can the 2-3 "clunk" be tuned out??