Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Shifter - 2nd gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L80E Shifter - 2nd gen Camaro

I have a console Megashifter in my car - worked OK with the 700r4 that I had fitted although it's always been a bit tight when shifting into 1st... Not overly impressed with the quality of it for the cost either, (flimsy build and just not very nice) but that's another story.

I tried setting up the linkage on my 4L80E over the weekend and struggled to get good alignment of the cable to the shift lever in every gear position.

Its a short shift shaft, 1994 transmission

I have what I believe to be the correct brackets and shift lever:
http://www.bmracing.com/products/354...&md=&smd=&eng=

I can get good alignment in the middle of the shift range, from 2nd through to neutral but park is a mile out, reverse isn't very good and neither is 1st. I had to bend the cable bracket slightly to stop the cable binding up when shifting down to 1st. Seems to be a trade off.

The cable's maybe 1 or 2mm off in 1st gear through to reverse, but in park its about 6mm or so.

The cable is routed in a smooth arc, but it's still ridiculously tight to shift into 1st and 2nd.

So I have 2 questions:
1. Are the shift positions different on a 4L80 compared to other transmissions?

2. Is there a better shifter that's nice quality that is available as a console fitment option that will work properly with the 4L80?

Quick Reply: 4L80E Shifter - 2nd gen Camaro