Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Converter and Something Loose Inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Converter and Something Loose Inside

I just received a new billet converter from one of the big guys that have them priced in the $800-900 range. Upon opening the box and removing the converter, I hear and have something heavy moving around inside. Does this sound like something that should be normal or should I be concerned? On a side note, this is the second converter as the first was cosmetically not acceptable. Also, the first unit made no sound meaning nothing was moving sound inside. I just wanted it to look like a jewel as I will be photographing my build and the appearance was not worthy.
So, is the clunking around inside normal???
Thanks guys....
Old 04-14-2016, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my new yank3600ss while taking it out the box I could hear what sounds like what your describing! Mine works great. Make sure you fill it with fluid before install
Old 04-14-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

The stator assembly is "loose" until it locks onto the stator shaft of the trans; this is the non-turning splined part surrounding the input shaft.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Converter Cosmetics.... Like a ALOT of other things in life.... It's what's on the INSIDE that counts!!!!!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Converter Cosmetics.... Like a ALOT of other things in life.... It's what's on the INSIDE that counts!!!!!
all very true sir!!! However, when I spend $800 for something purchased new, I expect that item to look new and not like it was kicked or sitting around in a garage waiting for a buyer. With a used item, this can or should be expected along with the history of the item. Right??
Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

In most converters, the stator rides freely on a pair of bearings. Even the turbine and lockup clutch move side to side and up and down some. These parts will center up on the transmission input shaft and stator support. Some converters, (our Pro Series included) center the turbine and lockup clutch within the converter as to take that load off the transmission.

To quickly answer your question though, yes it's normal for stuff to move around inside when you shake it.

-Brian

Quick Reply: New Converter and Something Loose Inside