Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Bolt on Pressure Manifold 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Bolt on Pressure Manifold 4l60e

Like a dumbass I broke a bolt while doing my Transgo HD2 shift kit the other day. It is the center 10mm bolt on the pressure manifold. I have been doing endless work on my 94 Formula for around 2 months now. I'm ready to drive this thing. My question is can I run the trans with that broken bolt? The bolt broke flush with the separator plate. I would be more concerned if I broke a bolt on either end of the manifold but it was the middle one. Manifold is held on by 3 bolts. Everything looks flush and sealed....can't imagine it being an issue, there's something like 16 bolts on that valve body holding it in place. Then again, I understand the transmission is a highly pressurized component, and I'm not a professional! If the bolt must be removed and replaced, how would you go about doing that? I figured use a tap, but it's such a small bolt surrounded by an aluminum valve body. Scary. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You could try it with the broken bolt - it the trans won't shift past 1st, 2nd or 3rd, that might indicate the pressure manifold is leaking due to the missing bolt.

Did the bolt break on tightening or loosening?
If on tightening, then it should now be relatively loose in the case - I would start with a small reverse-direction (left-hand) drill into the center of the bolt; with luck that might even pull it out as the drilling force will try to turn the bolt out. If not, go to the next biggest reverse-direction drill; if still stuck, a bolt extractor should fit into the hole then.

Here are some links to such tools on Amazon based on a search for "reverse drill bit":

IRWIN Tools 5 Piece Left Hand Cobalt 5/64-Inch to 19/64-Inch Cobalt Twist Drill Bit Assortment (30520) - Jobber Drill Bits - Amazon.com IRWIN Tools 5 Piece Left Hand Cobalt 5/64-Inch to 19/64-Inch Cobalt Twist Drill Bit Assortment (30520) - Jobber Drill Bits - Amazon.com

Neiko® 10038A Left Hand Drill Set with M2 Steel Titanium Coat | 13-Piece Set - Jobber Drill Bits - Amazon.com Neiko® 10038A Left Hand Drill Set with M2 Steel Titanium Coat | 13-Piece Set - Jobber Drill Bits - Amazon.com

And a $15 kit of reverse drill bits and extractors ("Neiko-01925A"):

Amazon.com: Neiko 01925A Alloy Screw Extractor Solid Cobalt Left Hand Drill Bits Set, 10 Piece: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Neiko 01925A Alloy Screw Extractor Solid Cobalt Left Hand Drill Bits Set, 10 Piece: Home Improvement

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Broken Bolt on Pressure Manifold 4l60e