Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highend Turbo + HIgh Stalled Converter = Fun Street Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highend Turbo + HIgh Stalled Converter = Fun Street Car?

Looking to get opinions, I'm looking to put a th400 or 4l80e in my Supra street drag car build. With like a 4k stall and boost around 4k, does anyone think it'd still be a fun car to drive on the street?

I'm asking because high-stall is slush box mode, and thinking of it it seems like either yo ur'e cruising or going full throttle not much in between, but I've never driven a stalled converter!

Just comparing to like driving a manual going around a corner and getting on it some, whereas a high stall would just feel like slip/cvt mode unless you're to the floor?

Let me know :") Still deciding between keeping my manual or going auto, all cost pretty similar, but GM auto will take some more work..
Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

A relatively "tight" converter might not give you the best possible ET at the drag strip, but will be fine on the street. My previous Yank 3600 and current CircleD 3600 let me accelerate "briskly" while keeping the RPMs under 2500; therefore both are just fine on the street. In contrast, a cheap converter like a TCI 3200 Super-Street-Fighter barely moves under the stall speed and was therefore basically undriveable on the street.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who builds it will be the biggest variable. My PY3400 seems to suit a street turbo combo. Coupled out of boost, slips to build boost, then re-couples. It is kinda CVT but on boost.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CowsGoMooo
Looking to get opinions, I'm looking to put a th400 or 4l80e in my Supra street drag car build. With like a 4k stall and boost around 4k, does anyone think it'd still be a fun car to drive on the street?

I'm asking because high-stall is slush box mode, and thinking of it it seems like either yo ur'e cruising or going full throttle not much in between, but I've never driven a stalled converter!

Just comparing to like driving a manual going around a corner and getting on it some, whereas a high stall would just feel like slip/cvt mode unless you're to the floor?

Let me know :") Still deciding between keeping my manual or going auto, all cost pretty similar, but GM auto will take some more work..

it sounds like drivability vs. strip performance is the main concern. With the converter we spoke about via PM you'll get a good balance of both. Which in my opinion, would make driving it a blast period.
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 05-16-2016, 03:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest our 252mm converter for this application. The larger diameter will aid in efficiency and drivability, and we build these converters with a custom CNC machined billet aluminum stator with mechanical diode for durability. The billet stator gives us seemingly endless options with fin count and angle when compared to the factory cast offerings. In other words, we can really dial these in. I would be happy to help spec one if interested.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Highend Turbo + HIgh Stalled Converter = Fun Street Car?