Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in 4l60e

Ive just discovered coolant in my 64 impalas 4l60e when i started the swap about 12 months ago I bought a new alloy radiator from summit with built in trans cooler from obviously its failed in some way the cars only been up and running for a few months.
My question is will what are the chances of get away with a flush and fluid change?
I waiting for summit to get back to me but don't hold out much hope for a positive reply.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not good the friction material in the trans along with converter clutch are adhered with a water soluble glue and it does not take much, Quickly or slower the friction material will flake off

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problem.
This is one reason I caution people about using the stock trans cooler and suggest instead using only an aftermarket cooler (and bypassing the stock one). However my caution is partly because the stock radiators are now getting to be 15+ years old.
I have not heard of a new aftermarket radiator springing a leak like that. What brand is it?
I don't know if you have any legal recourse against the radiator manufacturer, or Summit if it was a "Summit" brand.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Teching In

its this one https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...andz/overview/
Summit offered to replace or refund straight away but when i questioned the about the damage the trans will incur they responded

Response Via Email (Jesse) 08/18/2016 12:02 PM
Nic,

I apologize for the damages the radiator has caused, unfortunately we will only cover the price of the defective part that you purchased from us. We do not cover labor charges or extra materials/parts incurred in the process. I apologize for the inconvenience.

We appreciate your business.
Thank you,
Jesse
Summit Racing Equipment

i wonder how i legally stand?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Wow, what a mess!
Its even an expensive $400 radiator from a well known brand. And a very specialized size.
As PerformaBuilt explained, the trans will need a complete disassembly and rebuild.
How many miles are on the trans since its last rebuild?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Teching In

mrvedit by the time it got to the uk with shipping and duties it was more like $650 expensive for a strawberry milkshake maker! lol
The more worrying thing is the rebuild over here it could cost upto £2000 around $2600 as you can see from summits response they admit the radiator is at fault by the apology they've made for the damage the radiator has caused and not to offer any sort of compensation i think quite frankly stinks!
The trans was apparently rebuilt a couple of years ago,it was shifting fine and the fluid was clean when i put it in the wagon.

Quick Reply: Coolant in 4l60e