Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80E shifting options? How to limit max gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80E shifting options? How to limit max gear?

Hi

I have swapped LS3 and 6L80E to my Impala SS '65. The package came from 2013 camaro and we converted that engine to LS3 with some modifications

I used my original shifter and I don't have paddles on steering wheel

What would be the best way to limit transmission to change gear up? How could that be done in my case? Any ideas? I have that camaros E38 Ecu and also integrated TCM.
I know that the positions in my 6L80E transmission are PPRNDSSS and that camaro had PRNDM on it's shifter. I guess paddles were the only way to control TU and TD on that because shifter did not have that option...

My question is:
How to get that transmission to use only 1-4 gears? or only 1-3 gears? Could it be easily programmed via EfiLive?

I'm asking this because when I burn some rubber the transmission upshifts all the time and it would be nice to limit max gear for example to 3 or 4. It still have enough power to burn with sixth gear but those spinning speeds are quite fast... :/ And if I try to maintain the gear for example at third or fourth gear by slightly lifting gas pedal -> it will upshift right away and thats the end of my burnout

Throw some ideas
Old 09-15-2016, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firestrait
Hi

I have swapped LS3 and 6L80E to my Impala SS '65. The package came from 2013 camaro and we converted that engine to LS3 with some modifications

I used my original shifter and I don't have paddles on steering wheel

What would be the best way to limit transmission to change gear up? How could that be done in my case? Any ideas? I have that camaros E38 Ecu and also integrated TCM.
I know that the positions in my 6L80E transmission are PPRNDSSS and that camaro had PRNDM on it's shifter. I guess paddles were the only way to control TU and TD on that because shifter did not have that option...

My question is:
How to get that transmission to use only 1-4 gears? or only 1-3 gears? Could it be easily programmed via EfiLive?

I'm asking this because when I burn some rubber the transmission upshifts all the time and it would be nice to limit max gear for example to 3 or 4. It still have enough power to burn with sixth gear but those spinning speeds are quite fast... :/ And if I try to maintain the gear for example at third or fourth gear by slightly lifting gas pedal -> it will upshift right away and thats the end of my burnout

Throw some ideas
Find a 6L80E equipped car with TU/TD floor shifter that will fit in space you have. It may have to be modified to get it to work. Then there is the 2 position temporary position switch that can be wired in to work. You will also need an indicator to tell you what gear your in when Tapping up or down.

Now the best advice I can give you is to go to Speartech's website (They are one of the Supporting Vendor for this site), they did a lot of pioneering work on adapting/swapping 6L80E trans into cars/trucks back when trans was first released. He had/has a video of temporary 2 pos switch he wired in to TU?TD truck he used as a test mule.

They also sale a shifter that might work, along with a gear indicator that will keep you advised of what gear you have TU/TD into. Believe me that's a problem if you are going to serious use function, but maybe not so much for burnouts which I strongly advise against as trans is not all that strong an your car is no lightweight one, and rebuilds are not cheap even in the US...LOL

Quick Reply: 6L80E shifting options? How to limit max gear?