Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans wiring to activate relays? 4L60e/4L80e

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Trans wiring to activate relays? 4L60e/4L80e

I'm not sure if I'm going to describe this accurately, but I can't find much info on google. I guess maybe I'm not specific enough to find what I'm looking for.

The schematics don't give me a ton of info, since I'm not sure what each wire going to the trans actually does, and when.

I was wondering if a different wire is sent to the trans for each gear. For example, power is sent down wire A to force the trans to shift into 1st gear, wire B to force it to shift into 2nd gear, etc. I'm looking for a good boost-by-gear solution and if I can use the trans wires to somehow activate relays, I could easily solve a few issues I'm having.

My main concern is first gear. Is there a specific wire that sees power/ground when shifting into first?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

No, there are two shift solenoids. When both have power (ON/ON) you are in 1st gear, when both are OFF/OFF, you are in 3rd gear and the ON/OFF and OFF/ON combos give you 2nd and 4th.

Don't know what your electronic fabrication skill level is, but a couple of dirt cheap TTL digital logic chips (e.g. a 7400 and 7406) could produce a unique signal for each gear. (Need a few resistors to reduce the +12V to +5V for the chips and probably need drivers todrive a relay.) You could do the same with eight SPDT relays, preferably solid-state.

This diagram might give you more info:
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/wiring.html

The megasquirt/megashift is an open-source project for building very flexible engine and transmission controllers. Kits and complete units are also available. For example, it can add paddle shifters to the 4L60E.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I have megasquirt on my Corvette. Stock ECU on my Nova.
The problem is 24 PSI in first gear on a 275 Pro in the Nova. It just doesn't hook, even on a well prepped track. If I don't hit the tires hard on the line, they spin as soon as boost hits.

These two shift solenoids, do they each have a wire coming from the stock ECU? If so, I could produce a unique power circuit for the first 3 gears with just a pair of cheap 5-pin relays ($2/each) by tapping into these wires. Each power circuit would be hooked to something that determined how much boost that particular circuit received.

If I wanted just lower boost for 1st gear, I could do this easily with a cheap dual stage boost controller from ebay and have it controlled by the shift solenoids so I wouldn't have to use a toggle switch. I'm having trouble finding an affordable solution that works, but it looks like a pair of these cheap ebay controllers would actually allow me to control boost by gear for every gear. I would be $110 into having boost by gear on the stock ECU. If I can find something with 3 boost settings that isn't PWM controlled for less than $110, I could cut costs even further.

Quick Reply: Trans wiring to activate relays? 4L60e/4L80e