Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e Swap frame cutting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e Swap frame cutting question

Hey guys, for the cutting that everyone says is required to make room when doing a T56 to 4l80e swap, is this to make room for the transmission plug on the side of the transmission? I just started my swap so I'm not far along at all but I was going through some of the parts I have, one of which is the Compushift2 transmission controller, and I noticed the plug that I assume to be the main harness plug for the transmission has a 90degree harness on it. Does this mean that I will not have to do the cutting on the frame that everyone else is doing? I dont have a stock auto harness obviously since I'm starting with a T56 car so I'm not sure how far out that plug sticks out normally. If the cutting is not for the plug itself what exactly is it needed to make room for? I've seen various pictures of the cutout on this site but I cant seem to find a pic of the cutout with the tranny installed showing what exactly its making room for.

Here's a pic of the harness I have with the compushift2:

Old 11-06-2016, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You will still have to cut it/ bfh it. It's a very tight fit. I cut mine and smashed it in with a 5lb hammer and it was still to tight to plug it in.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, you will need to cut the frame. I thought I had a better picture but this is what mine looks like. I have the TCI EZ-TCU but it has the same 90 degree connector. I didn't have to smash the body with a hammer behind the cut though.

Quick Reply: 4l80e Swap frame cutting question