Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Sonnax AFL valve with TransGo springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default 4L60E Sonnax AFL valve with TransGo springs?

I'm building a '02 4L60E. It had a TransGo HD2 kit in it but has been robbed of various parts through the years. So I got another valve body that has a few Sonnax valves in it. I don't see a problem with the others except the AFL valve.

I'm not sure if it has the correct Sonnax spring in it to begin with. The spring it has is weaker than the stock one, then when you put the transgo spring inside of the stock one it obviously makes it way stiffer than the sonnax spring. Then the seperator plate AFL balance hole gets drilled to .052 with the sonnax valve and .093 with the transgo kit.

Has anyone used these two parts together? Or should I just get new stuff and start over.....

Last edited by Jays_SSZ28; 11-13-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The Sonnax Performance Pack instructions don't show changing the AFL valve spring setup as does the HD2 kit. Are you referring to a different Sonnax kit.

I think the HD2 kit's additional inner spring increases the line pressure a bit.

I have never experimented with different AFL balance holes sizes. Looking at the hydraulics I "think" that a larger hole allows the line pressure to change quicker; so the exact size isn't all that important. Are you sure yours is at the larger size.

Instead of starting over, I would suggest getting a new separator plate (Transgo #46-PLT-96) and drilling it to the more conservative of the Sonnax and HD2 specified hole sizes. Except the 2-3 Shift hole - drill that to .093 or even a bit bigger.

If you need a stock AFL spring, I likely have one to spare.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

The trans I'm building had a HD2 kit in it, I bought the trans from someone on here a long time ago. Through the years I borrowed parts out of this, it had most of the kit except the TCC regulator valve. The boost valve and servo were gone so I bought new ones, etc. I'm putting this in a car I plan to sell and removing the built trans and converter in the car now. So I'm not looking to spend much on this, especially since I have just about a full rebuild kit left over from other builds.

I was going to use a '99 valve body since it has almost all the Sonnax parts in it that can be put in it. Only problem is this sat for two years completely diassembled, I have no idea what goes where except looking at pictures.

I do have the stock valve body diagram from the transgo data base, the one that gives you all the spring specs. This does me no good with the sonnax parts.

So I ended up just putting all the transgo stuff back in the '02 valve body and I'm just going to order a Fitzall TCC valve and be done with it (I hope, never used the fitzall stuff).

Not looking to spend money because I just changed my SS back to an automatic that I fully built right and put a new FTI converter in it, and I'm building an '06 4L80E for something to do It had a total forward and direct burn up and I already dumped a ton of money into it on hard parts and new stuff.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Sonnax AFL valve with TransGo springs?